1. BigMike

When I hook up my 5er, my truck bed drops about 3". The 5er is level, but the truck isn't. My clearance is fine. The truck handles just beautifully, but looks kinda weird. I didn't get the camper package because at the time I didn't realize I was going to fall in love with RVing. I thought about adding overloads or something, but a friend of mine said to go with airbags. I called a place here in town and they quoted me $375 installed. Don't know what kind of bags they are. Is that the way to go or should I do something else or just leave well enough alone?

Thanks in advance for your help!

BigMike , Sep 7, 2001
  2. Deezul1

I had airbags on a different truck and loved them. I hauled 3200lb slide in camper and it sagged real bad and was unstable. Installed air bags and it lifted higher than unloaded if I wanted it too and was very stable also. It was great because you could adjust the headlights with a air hose too. Unloaded you let the air down to about 10lbs to keep from pinching the bags and it rides real nice empty.

Deezul1 , Sep 8, 2001
  3. Driftwood Ram TDR MEMBER

Air Bags

Big Mike:

I put air bags on our 2500 4x4 and like them because you can adjust and maintain the stock ride height which means your headlights are where they should be at night. :) :) The down side is the 5th wheel does not sit level( nose up) because the bed does not drop enough. :( :( :(

It seems like there are pro's and con's to everything.

Tracy

Driftwood Ram , Sep 8, 2001
  4. lhend50

I have Air Lift Superduty air bags and use them when I tow. They are great. Camping world has the best prices on these that I have found. They can be put on in about an Hr, very easy. Mine are the 5000lb bags, but you can also get 2000lb bags for less, they would work fine for towing.

lhend50 , Sep 8, 2001
  5. dewdo

I have a 3500 dualie and pull a hefty fiver. I too found that my headlights pointed upward even with the camper/tow package. Got notices from the FAA I was blinding aircraft pilots.

I was in the market for a pickup camper and decided to have the aibags installed prior to taking delivery of the camper. I opted for the onboard compressor which makes it handy for the times you are not around a service station and would like to adjust the bags on the go. Works great. They let me level the truck both with the camper and the 5ver. Wouldn't be without them. They are Firestone and was installed by Les Schwabb. Forget what the final price was. The camper dealer set me up with the Rabi rate rather than the gentile price.

Dewdo in the other Washington

dewdo , Sep 8, 2001
  6. Paul Somers

One more vote for air bags. Before I got my Ram I pulled a smaller 5er with 1500 chev. It was just a little over loaded but I didn't like the looks of rear dropping as much as it did. I put on the Air Lift 2500# bags with onboard compressor. I could back under 5er and lift front stands off ground by adding air to bags. The 2500# bags from Air Lift are for 1/2 ton trucks only. For Air Lift for 3/4 ton you will need to go 5000#. You will like the air bags but suggest the onboard compressor while your at it. I added my compressor a year after putting on bags. You can add air or let air out from driver's seat.

Paul Somers , Sep 9, 2001
  7. Steve Campbell

Back in the 70's a lot of the kids were putting air shocks on cars. I assume they just don't provide enough extra weight carrying capacity to do the job here. I am not in the market for anything-just wondering in cyberspace.

Steve Campbell , Sep 9, 2001
  8. Silver Streak

Air Bags

Yes they make a big difference.

Silver Streak

Silver Streak , Sep 9, 2001
  9. Powder Extreme

I had air bags on my 2500 and I have airbags on the new 3500, wouldn't be without them on either one. The ride is so much more stable, and the leveling ability is second to none, spring replacements etc. just don't give you the ability to raise and lower your backend. Airbags will give you about 4-6 inches to adjust from. The onboard air is very nice. :cool: Speaking of which I still have a brand new in the box compressor and gauge setup from Airlift if anybody is interested.

I also highly recommend installing Ranch RS9000's when you put the airbags on, another big difference in ride and handling, I had no idea just a shock could make that much difference. :D

Jerry

Powder Extreme , Sep 9, 2001
  10. tgbol

I haven't got air bags on my truck yet, but, I have them on my Cherokee. I used to load it down when going camping. some times 800 pounds in the roof rack. The air bags would level and stablize it. I installed an automatic leveling air valve from a truck to maintain my ride height. it works great.

tgbol , Sep 9, 2001