Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JDeCourcy

OK, this year I'm going to bite the bullet and replace my transmission. I have 170,000 miles on what I believe is the original transmisson. For once, I want to replace something before I start having problems instead of on the road somewhere in semi emergency conditions (like I had to do with my lift and VP44 pumps, another story). I'm retiring soon and plan to do a lot of towing a 38-40 ft. trailer, so I want the best transmission for towing, exhaust brake and locking torque converter. I've been looking at the adds in TDR but of course they all say the're the best. Any suggestions?

JDeCourcy , Dec 25, 2003
  2. klaybus

Best AfterMarket Trans

Three letters say it all..... DTT! Period!

www.dieseltrans.com

YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!

klaybus , Dec 25, 2003
  3. Cummins4Life

Re: Best AfterMarket Trans

What he said. Oo.

Cummins4Life , Dec 25, 2003
  4. Chipstien

DTT Rocks!!!!!!!!

I personally chose DTT however they are all light years above stock. :)

Chipstien , Dec 25, 2003
  5. Pit Bull

6 speed ;) If you really want an auto, then look at ATS, DTT and Gorend. I really think your next question should be "what is the best oil to use in my CTD" :-laf Sorry I can't help myself ;)

Pit Bull , Dec 25, 2003
  6. SEmerson

DTT all the way. Oo. Oo. Oo. Oo.

SEmerson , Dec 25, 2003
  7. pwr2tow

Your going to find the opinions on here are about the same as reading the TDR magazine advertisements. Most are going to be biased because they run that particular product. Most have not tried every transmission out there, let alone two or three of them, myself included.

If I ever have to do it over again I would go with a manual transmission for what you are going to use the truck for, after all how many semis' do you see pulling great weights with an automatic transmission. If for some reason I had to have an automatic transmission I would go with one of these companies.

www.gbtransmissions.com

www.suncoastconverters.com

www.atsdieselperformance.com

Just left click on one of the blue urls above to go to their site.

Hope this helps,

Ron

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2003
    pwr2tow , Dec 26, 2003
  8. jrandol

Loved my ATS stage 2 and now love my ATS Stage 5 even more!! If I had to do it again I would buy ATS all over.

jrandol , Dec 26, 2003
  9. c-hawk

Re: Re: Best AfterMarket Trans

I chose DTT, and if i had it to do over again... I wouldn't hesitate to choose DTT. Can you tell I'm happy with my decision?

Later,

Chris

c-hawk , Dec 26, 2003
  10. Steve St.Laurent Staff Member

Steve St.Laurent , Dec 26, 2003
  11. JBlackwell

I would just find a transmission vendor that advertises on this site that lives closest to you. Or find a transmission vendor near you that is a dealer of a transmission vendor on this site. That is what I would do.

I am taking in consideration if my transmission goes, I am going with a DTT transmission, not just cause everyone tells me to get a DTT, but because the fact that DTT is in Canada and there is a DTT dealer that is a few hours away from me which is Inarush76 from this board. I just don't like dealing with people that aren't in driving distance of me. There are several reasons why too.

Later,

JD

JBlackwell , Dec 26, 2003
  12. rrausch

I'll have to say ATS. I'd go with Clint again in a Heartbeat!

Here is a thread I posted when I got back from Denver, and getting my Trans built 2 years ago. I believe ATS has done the most thorough job of re-engineering of all the Performance Trans. builders out there.

But do your homework John. Call around and go with the people you are most comfortable with. If you want to call ATS, their number is 800-949-6002

I'm in So. Cal. if you're going to be down this way and want to go for a ride e-mail me. Good luck!

https://www.turbodieselregister.com...?threadid=40441&highlight=experience+with+ATS

Last edited: Dec 26, 2003
    rrausch , Dec 26, 2003
  13. TSRAM

Most people are pretty passionate about their trucks and trannies on here in case you haven't noticed already. Personally I think ALL of the vendors names you see tossed around on here transmission-wise have a much better setup than you could get stock or from the local trans. shop.

All of the vendors seem to have a "following" that is quick to jump in to defend their own "brand". I'm not saying that this is a bad thing, don't get me wrong.

The best advise is for you to call each of the vendors and talk to them about what they offer and if possible drive a few different trucks that have different trannies. If you want to know what most run, you can look in their sigs under their posts.

I proudly display mine.

TSRAM , Dec 27, 2003
  14. RowJ

John

I agree with TSRAM.

The thought occurs to me that choosing between DTT and the ATS type systems is a no loose situation.

While these two types of transmission mods are very different in their approach - who says they can't both be good.

I base this possibility on what I have read; there are just too many happy users in both camps for me to ignore.

As you see below, I went with DTT. I have been a very very happy trucker and brag about my transmission to all. But I have never ridden in or driven a Triple Loc modified transmission. I would like to!

I think the prices are similar and I don't think either system has enough trucks out there over 200,000 miles to judge longevity.

But there are enough of each kind out there, John, that you could probably get to test drive both.

Anyone in the Dallas area (I'm 1 hr north) with an ATS who wants to drive a DTT?

Call me. We can follow each other for a few miles and maybe both learn something.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2003
    RowJ , Dec 27, 2003
  15. rrausch

RowJ! RIGHT ON!

At last... a DTT guy and an ATS guy agree!

Both are good companies with loyal followings.

Call them both and go with whoever you are comfortable with.

rrausch , Dec 27, 2003
  16. klaybus

Best AfterMarket Trans

At last... a DTT guy and an ATS guy agree!

There are several "AfterMarket" transmissions which are surely better than stock. It's simply a matter of choice. All that have responded to this post have done so in a gentleman's fashion. Wow! What a change.

DTT, ATS, Goerend Bros. , Suncoast... ... All good transmissions I'm sure. As stated above, do your homework. It's alot of $$$ and you don't want to do it twice.

Best of luck of your choice.

Clay :)

klaybus , Dec 27, 2003
  17. GFoley

Try to drive as many different trucks with similar power mods to get a feel for transmission differences. I do not care for some of the hard shifting in some of them. I have over 20k on mine since May 03. I nursed my failing trans for 5 months before I replaced it. Once it was done I wished I had done it much sooner but these things aren't inexpensive.

GFoley , Dec 27, 2003
  18. Josparkz TDR MEMBER

My Goerend Brothers one sure has been great:cool:

Josparkz , Dec 28, 2003
  19. JDeCourcy

Thanks for all the advice. I'm new to TDR and didn't realize I was asking a question which had started major battles in the past. By the way, what is the best oil? Just kidding, do not answer!!

JDeCourcy , Dec 30, 2003
  20. Cumminsman

John, i have used a Suncoast in my pulling truck and loved it. 3year unlimited mileage warranty. i would recommend it to everyone. never had a problem with it. and know of a few other people running them. later, nick

Cumminsman , Dec 30, 2003