1. Blakers

This is my first post in the 6.7 forum, however I've been on TDR since about 2000.

My 03 6 speed that I bought new was in a wreck three weeks ago after hitting a RAV4 that pulled out in front of me. I may or may not be able to economically get it back on the road again.

In the meantime, I am looking for another truck. I really want to stick with a 3rd Generation, preferably a 5.9, but opening up my search to 6.7 trucks broadens my search results. I'm looking for an essentially rust-free truck, of which I've found several.

I'm in NW Pennsylvania and have been searching PA, OH, and western NY. Every 6.7 truck I have found has been deleted. Should I be concerned with buying a deleted truck? I know many friends who have them who have not had any issues with passing inspection, however I am concerned about the future. Unfortunately, I haven't found any trucks where the owners retained the deleted hardware. Is there talk of stricter enforcement? What does it cost to put a deleted truck back to EPA standards?

Blakers , Mar 10, 2024
  2. Signal73

It’s a roll of the dice weather PA will start doing inspections. I do know a lot of PA guys run emission free and don’t seem to have issues. If you wanted to put it back to stock I do see SCRs + DPFs for the earlier trucks on FB marketplace all the time. You would also need egr cooler, valve and hardware, along with the stock tune. It would be best to find someone who deleted and kept all the stuff. That way you won’t have to worry about finding every last but and bolt.

Signal73 , Mar 10, 2024
    Blakers likes this.
  3. Signal73

4F8CC13F-3A0F-4808-90D9-D03F491EE04A.jpeg #ad
    E54C1749-13F6-46BA-89C4-FC422BBC1FCA.jpeg #ad

Here’s an idea of a pile of parts you would need to put it back to stock. Quite a lot of bits and pieces to track down if the seller decided not to keep them.

Signal73 , Mar 10, 2024
    Blakers likes this.
  4. Blakers

I'm not so worried about PA doing inspections as the feds coming down on everyone. If anything, PA just does does visuals and that's it. It may be different in Philly and Pittsburgh.
    It's hard enough finding a decent truck, then finding someone who kept the deleted hardware is even worse.

Blakers , Mar 10, 2024
  5. Blakers

That's a lot of crap there!! I guess it would be a lost cause to ever consider putting all that stuff back on

Blakers , Mar 10, 2024
  6. Signal73

Well the good thing is the parts are out there. I think the most important is getting the programmer they used with the stock tune in it. Without you would have to visit a dealer.

Signal73 , Mar 10, 2024
  7. Signal73

It’s all bolt in stuff. Really nothing difficult, esp if you have a lift to work under. Just knowing the order everything goes in is the tough part, but there’s lots of info online.

Signal73 , Mar 10, 2024
  8. Blakers

Makes me think it's not worth it at all. How does a stock 6.7 truck drive compared to a deleted 6.7?

Blakers , Mar 10, 2024
  9. Signal73

Can’t be of assistance there, I’m a law abiding citizen :D

Signal73 , Mar 10, 2024
    Blakers and brucejohnson like this.
  10. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

My personal opinion, I would stay away from a deleted truck. Many miles have been driven by properly used and maintained stock trucks without issues. Besides the “tampering” legalities, you won’t be able to find anyone to work on the truck, and you have no idea of the quality of the work that was done. Again, just my opinion.

BigPapa , Mar 10, 2024
    Topzide, bcbender, Blakers and 2 others like this.
  11. Blakers

I just found out tonight from a friend who has a Pennsylvania Inspection Station that deleted trucks will no longer pass Pa inspection. I'm glad I found out before I bought something!

Blakers , Mar 10, 2024
  12. Blakers

What I meant, is a stock 6.7 on par with a stock 5.9 as far at a daily driver and trailer hauler. Will a stock 6.7 pull a loaded gooseneck trailer successfully? I don't mean will it compete with a truck that has been bombed to the hilt.

Blakers , Mar 10, 2024
  13. bcbender TDR MEMBER

My "Stock" 2020 6.7 pulls circles around my "modified" 2004 5.9. No comparison and NO SHIFTING. Cant think of anything I really miss other than the sound of the 5.9 and the Silverline exhaust.. but the HK sound system makes up for it most days.... and as far as fuel usage its almost the same.. if not the same on most trips.

bcbender , Mar 11, 2024
  14. Blakers

Thanks! So non-deleted 6.7 trucks are still on my list when looking for something. Can’t believe so many went through the delete effort for little gain.

Blakers , Mar 11, 2024
  15. Jim W TDR MEMBER

Will that's not so true! I lot of owners of 6.7L Ram trucks who deleted want a truck that was able to be driven and not sit at the dealer's shop waiting for parts. I know of guys who had a 6.7L Ram with DEF and the sensors went bad shutting down the truck. Back in 2013 and 2014 you couldn't get the DEF sensors as fast as that were needed being on back order from the manufacture. So, the truck would sit for several months waiting for parts.

You were making payments on a shop Queen, and they the vehicle just sat.

Jim W , Mar 11, 2024
    Blakers likes this.
  16. petersonj TDR MEMBER

When the 6.7 engine was introduced in 2007.5, the engines had to meet the toughest emissions restrictions for the time. The trucks powered by these engines with sophisticated exhaust emission management systems (long before the DEF systems) were haunted with driveability problems and spent lots of time in the shop - especially the 2007.5 and 2008 trucks. I personally knew two people who each had a 2008 truck. One got to drive his truck for 30 days (not consecutive) out of the first six months of ownership - the other got to drive his truck for six months out the first year of ownership.

Both of them did the delete on their trucks - not because they wanted more power, but because they just wanted to be able to drive them.

- John

petersonj , Mar 11, 2024
    Jim W and Blakers like this.
  17. Topzide TDR MEMBER

The days are numbered for a "deleted" truck. As more and more places are catching fines for working on them. When they have been "deleted", they aren't eligible to be driven on the road. They have been turned into an off road vehicle only and maybe even scrap depending on the state. It's a roll of the dice for a "deleted" truck before you get caught and fined or have the truck impounded!

Topzide , Mar 11, 2024
    Blakers likes this.
  18. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Yes if you need to buy it all new. Way to expensive.
    That's why this guy last year trashed his mint 2008 40'000$ Ram.

In my opinion I'd stay away if you aren't 100% sure that you can get ALL the parts from the Bay.

Ozymandias , Mar 11, 2024
    Blakers likes this.
  19. Signal73

There’s still plenty of 4.5 gen trucks in the same situation. Excessive regen and no fix from dealerships. Excessive regen leads to excessive fuel in the oil, you all know the result of that.

Signal73 , Mar 11, 2024
  20. Blakers

Truly sad what some extremists in our government have done to us. It's all about control, masquerading as caring for the environment.

Blakers , Mar 11, 2024
    Jim W likes this.