Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darel

'97 12V, auto, 4x4. When I first go to start my truck after sitting overnight, it fires right up but then after running nicely for about one minute (exactly as long as it takes to back out of the driveway and into the middle of the street) it starts to fart and miss. This happens regardless of whether it was plugged in or not, and whether it's in gear or not. In cold weather it is certain to stall. In warm weather it still misses but if you keep on the gas it passes after about 10 seconds and runs fine thereafter. The first thing I thought was air in the fuel system.

But, a possibly related problem is that if the engine does stall, after that first startup I will have to get out and push up the solenoid by hand. It works perfectly on initial startup and if I were to shut the key off then retstart it again, but if the engine stalls I will have to push up the solenoid by hand every time I try to restart it (which, on really cold mornings, can be pretty often).

In addition to the air bubble, I thought of gelling but it also does it when it's warm out, much too warm for gel.

Am I having several unrelated problems, or is there one common thing wrong here? What's going on?

Thanks,

Darel

Darel , Oct 15, 2002
  2. shendren

try replace the shut off solenoid relay on the firewall. the one on the port side. $5 at radio shack.

shendren , Oct 15, 2002
  3. Darel

The relay should be good, because I just replaced it not long ago, and it does initially start fine. It wouldn't start at all if that relay was busted, right?

Anyone else seen anything like this?

Thanks,

Darel

Darel , Oct 16, 2002
  4. Todd T

Darel you need to also clean the wire going to the battery cables.

there is a feed wire that comes off the solenoid used for the hold-on voltage. it has a inline fuseable link and is in with the positive cable on the battery terminal on the drivers side. maybe its just a little dirty :D take off the cables on the DS battery and clean them. I always use a little grease between them as well.

dont forget, the starter contacts play a role in this too. maybe check those out next.

Todd T , Oct 17, 2002