Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hobart

Where should it be located? In the line out to the oil cooler (max temperature) or on the dipstick in the pan?

Hobart , Oct 1, 2007
  2. WTBurke

WTBurke , Oct 1, 2007
  3. ScottLewis

Lots of threads about placement of temp. sending units. A number of opinions too. My '98 had the sensor in the pan. My '06 uses a device attached to the outside of the output cooling line. I prefer the latter since it gives me faster info about what's happening. It also doesn't need to open up the transmission in any way for installation. Geno's sell similar devices for about $32.

IMO, it's the quickest, cheapest, and best solution.

Dan

Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
    ScottLewis , Oct 1, 2007
  4. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

I have a probe in the hot line and one in the pan. The one in the pan hardly moves. You will melt your transmission down before a probe in the pan shows that you are overheating things. Some day I am going to move the pan probe to the rear diff.

Call DTT and get the early Dodge line from them, they have a custom extention as part of it, so that in screws right on at each end.

SNOKING

SnoKing , Oct 1, 2007
  5. RHARVEY

You can get the line from the Dodge dealer in Farmington New Mexico... Advantage Dodge. Ask for their internet parts sales. That tube was only on the trucks for the 94-95 years. . but will fit all the way up to and including 02. Why they took it off I will never know.

Rick

RHARVEY , Oct 1, 2007
  6. WTBurke

Part number is: 5011244AA as printed above. (check the link)

I was told at the parts counter by the sales person that this line was offered to those owner/operators who towed with an automatic transmission. It allowed them to see the real temperature coming out of the transmission.

This is the line Bill K. at DTT places on the transmissions that are DTT transmissions. (Bill's specifications)

The line is still available at all Dodge dealership parts departments.

I would suggest reading my link to avoid the "double check-valve" issues that can occur with later model years in regard to the heat exchanger.

William

WTBurke , Oct 1, 2007