Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaughn MacKenzie TDR MEMBER

My '98.5 auto sprung a big leak on one of its aluminum trans cooler lines due to rubbing and wearing by a retainer clip. It is a long one that starts at the round coolant/ATF cooler on the passenger side and snakes around the torque converter cover and to the radiator along the driver side. I'm going to wrap tape around the spots that come in contact with the retainers to keep it from happening again. This is the first leak on the original auto, 229,300 miles.

I swapped out the line with one I got from Rock Auto but the quick connect on the rubber hose would not click into the new tube for anything, it wouldn't slide in even though it looks identical to the original. Evidently it's ever so slightly larger. I buggered up the quick connect so now I am wondering should I cut the connector off the rubber line and try to slide it over the end of the new tube and use a hose clamp on it? I'd cut it off as close as possible so the rubber hose isn't too short, it'd be close, but at the moment I'm not sure the best way to solve this issue. It was pretty maddening laying under the truck getting drizzled with a tiny stream of ATF and have the bugger refuse to connect. I tried and tried but ended up messing it up.

Vaughn

Vaughn MacKenzie , Mar 4, 2018
  2. Bob4x4

There have been some supercedences in lines and fittings,the line you got may not be the correct match for the fitting(or just a poor copy)

Bob4x4 , Mar 4, 2018
  3. DavidC

Can the fitting be changed to a hose barb fitting ?. I do not know the thread dimensions (or if it is threaded) as I never really looked at mine but maybe some pipe fittings to extend the barb so the hose reaches ok. Maybe some compression fittings where the sleeve crushes when tightened and a hose barb. Just some ideas.

Dave

DavidC , Mar 5, 2018
  4. Timd32 TDR MEMBER

I just cut mine off and used clamps.

Lines were same deal brand new one clicked one would not.

I tweaked them a bit and also put additional protection around rub points along the lines.

Timd32 , Mar 10, 2018
  5. Timd32 TDR MEMBER

I just cut mine off and used clamps.

Lines were same deal brand new one clicked one would not.

I tweaked them a bit and also put additional protection around rub points along the lines.

Timd32 , Mar 10, 2018
  6. Joe Mc TDR MEMBER

Over the years of ownership on mine I've noticed metal and rubber lines that are touching/almost touching things that would surely lead to failures. What I've done, and it actually works, is to take a length of hose sliced along the length, going around the hose so it somewhat looks a bit like a spring when you are done and slide it over the hose/line that might come in contact with another line, etc and then wire tie the ends and a place or two in the middle of the spiral hose. Be sure to check them from time to time to be sure they haven't been rubbed thru. My $0.02

Joe Mc , Mar 19, 2018