1. JohnHaggerty

Sometimes I find it difficult to move the column selector without a bang. Seems to happen mostly when backing into a parking stop. At home I backup until I tap a parking stop, apply brakes and put in park. Sometimes tough getting it into drive without a bang. Also similar if I park on a slight incline or decline. Any ideas?

JohnHaggerty , Mar 14, 2024
    slowmover likes this.
  2. Topzide TDR MEMBER

If you've got a cable to trans linkage, check the bushings in the cable. Not sure if you'll be able to get a bushing to replace in the end or not. I know on mine, I was able to get a replacement bushing and made a huge difference.

Topzide , Mar 14, 2024
  3. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

Any time there's a load on the parking pawl, you're going to have a "pop" coming out of neutral.

BigPapa , Mar 14, 2024
  4. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Sounds like you’re putting it in park with tension in the parking pawl.

Try hitting your stop, going to N, applying the parking brake, taking your foot off the brake, then P.

This is the best way to not have any tension on the transmission. Took years to get my wife to do it that way, and now she never has any issues. Teaching my kids this same technique from the get go.

AH64ID , Mar 15, 2024
    Jim W and slowmover like this.
  5. slowmover

With wheels straight and not against the curb, etc. Get’m to center it in the parking slot, too, and, it’s a miracle!

OP, that parking pawl breaks (vehicle gets hit), you in a heap o’ trouble, boy. (Trans gets ripped up, too. Don’t let wheels roll: set brake). Ive seen unoccupied, non-running cars hit in lots and travel a whole lot farther than you’d think. Locked rear wheels they just skid some.

— If it helps, never allow any engine starts unless in Neutral, park brake set. Treat it more like a manual. Always operate as if loaded heavy or towing.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2024
    slowmover , Mar 16, 2024