1. Bobby A

Hi people, its been quite a while since I've been on. I have a new issue that maybe I can get your input.
    When I take off in the truck after a day or two of sitting, when I put the truck in drive, it kinda lunges. It hard to explain, but it only does it once or twice and then it drives normal. Its kinds like when the ABS is activated its kinda a sensation like that. Again, it only does it when the truck has been sitting for a day or two.
    Feedback or input would be appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Bobby A

Bobby A , Feb 21, 2023
  2. Topzide TDR MEMBER

Sounds normal for when the fluid has drained back out of valve body. My '01 Gasser won't move for a few seconds if I haven't driven it for a few days or more. Just shift into neutral for the pump to get fluid into the valve body. Just more of an annoyance than anything. Don't think there's an issue unless it stops shifting or other issue. Just gotta find an excuse to drive it more! :D

Topzide , Feb 21, 2023
  3. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

It's the converter not the valvebody that drains.
    The VB is completely submerged with the engine off.

(I once intended to change the PN switch without draining the oil first... bad idea.)

Ozymandias , Feb 21, 2023
  4. Rowdy Dalton

Doesn't sound like mine, when it sits for several days. My torque converter drains, and it takes a few seconds of being in gear, idling, before it wants to feel 100%. It feels like it is slipping, until it fills back up.

Rowdy Dalton , Feb 21, 2023
  5. Bobby A

Thank you all for the feedback/replies, I will not worry about it I guess. It just never has done this before, but my truck is getting old and has 160K now.
    Thanks again, I will try not to be gone so long.

On another note, how do I get to my old started threads and posts?? Not very good at navigating this forum due to the lack of visiting.

Thank you,
    Bobby A

Last edited: Feb 22, 2023
    Bobby A , Feb 22, 2023
  6. Topzide TDR MEMBER

@Bobby A, At the upper right of the page, you'll see your user name, put cursor over name, box opens, go to content listing and click on that. You should then have what you're looking for. Got that truck ready for the warmer air to be arrive in the next couple months to get out and enjoy! 160K on truck isn't old, my 2014 has over 160K! My '01 gasser 1500 has 108K! That's old and hard time on that truck! Wish I could have talked the DW into a 2500 CTD back then! :p Looking back, it was a 4K difference in price, would've been a lot more of a truck for the money and I'm sure it would be in better shape!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::D

Topzide , Feb 22, 2023
  7. Bobby A

Topzide,

Thanks for that info on finding my started Threads/posts

Bobby A , Feb 23, 2023
  8. cerberusiam Staff Member

If the truck is lunging when put in gear and there is not throttle input it is not drain back it is the TC starting to go bad.

cerberusiam , Mar 6, 2023
  9. Bobby A

Really ????? Thank you for your input, I was not expecting the transfer case. it rarely gets put into four wheel drive. I wonder if a trans shop has a was to check it ??

Thank you,

Bobby A , Mar 7, 2023
    bighammer likes this.
  10. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

TC=Torque Converter

BigPapa , Mar 7, 2023
  11. Bobby A

My bad, thank you Scott

Bobby A , Mar 7, 2023
    BigPapa likes this.
  12. Bobby A

Would a transmission shop be able to do any kind of testing to determine/confirm that the torque converter is on its way out ?? If I am traveling and the torque converter does go out, how would I know that?? what would I experience driving ?? would I be able to drive it ??
    Thank you,
    Bobby A

Bobby A , Mar 14, 2023
  13. cerberusiam Staff Member

No way to really test for a TC that is having intermittent issues, especially if it cannot be recreated on demand.

If the sprag in the TC completely fails it spits metal into the transmission and truck quits moving. If you are getting intermittent problems where you put it into gear and it wants to pull thru brakes or lunges when put into gear then the TC is having issues. It might go for years depending on how you use it or it might fail tomorrow.

cerberusiam , Mar 14, 2023
  14. Bobby A

Cerberusiam,
    Thank you for addressing my questions, my truck seems to do both as you describe, only when cold, like haven't driven the truck for a few days or so.When it warms up and I have been driving it, it runs normal. Is this the kind of work a reproable transmission shop should do ?? Is this a big job ?? About how much money should I expect to have to pay for this kind of work ??
    Thank you,
    Bobby A

Bobby A , Mar 14, 2023
  15. Rowdy Dalton

If it were my truck, I would take it to a specialty 4x4 shop that does trannys also. Explain what is happening. If you go to most of the generic Transmission shops, they seem to always push for total rebuilds.

Rowdy Dalton , Mar 15, 2023
  16. cerberusiam Staff Member

When you start it up cold and not having driven for a while do you put the trans in neutral and let idle for a bit? Stock transmission doesn't circulate fluid in park, it does in neutral. Try that and see if it changes the results.

You will likely pay about $1000-1200 for a stock TC R&R. If the pan shows no evidence of a lot of metal or clutch material and the fluid looks good you can likely replace the TC and be good for a long time. If you want to upgraded the TC to a better match for the engine then a Goerend 900/400 TC with a billet cover is good choice. That will cost you around a grand with R&R extra. What you will get for that investment is a much better TC that will actually put the power on the ground and enhance drivability.

It is always a choice to spend the $$ to upgrade and these trucks are not cheap. Depends on how you use it and depend on it.

cerberusiam , Mar 15, 2023
    BigPapa and Ozymandias like this.
  17. Bobby A

Cerberusiam,
    Thank you for the wonderful information, I will try putting it into neutral and check back with the results. I never do that, I start the truck and put it into drive/ reverse and take off. I have never experianced this issue until recently. My truck has 160K on it now. I have never had any kind of work done on the trans or TC you speak off. I just had the fluids changed last summer by the Dodge dealership and coincidentally shortly after that is when this issue came up.
    With that said, could it be possible they put the wrong or bad fluids in the transmission ?? I had all the fluids changed, trans, transfer case, front and rear end and an coolent flush. I have been pretty good about changing out the fluids every so ofter over the years, especially with me pulling a 16K 5th wheel across the country for about 12 years.
    I appreciate your advice,
    Bobby A

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
    Bobby A , Mar 15, 2023
  18. cerberusiam Staff Member

Seems like problems frequently crop up after a fluid change\exchange. No real reason other than it likely disturbs the buildup in the trans and FOD floats around.

At a minimum the trans fluid should be changed yearly even if you don't put many miles on it. The hot\cool cycles moisture in the fluid that leads to sludge and other less than ideal oxidations. As the aromatics that make ATF+4 what is cook out the resulting fluid tends to want created compounds that interfere with operation. The gov pressure transducer and solenoid are the favorite victims of that, but, the sprag in the TC is not that beefy either. All it takes is some sludge or a steels and fiber residue to start the roller sticking and or wearing. Same with the sprag in the rear of the case. Learned the hard way looking good does not mean they are and when they fail it makes a mess in the transmission.

The 06's and 07's had some quality issues with the TC's and those years failed more than all the others put together. Something to keep in mind when deciding on reactive or proactive.

cerberusiam , Mar 15, 2023
  19. Bobby A

O.k., I understand, I will report back probably not tomorrow though, I have a busy day. Thanks again for all the advise.

Bobby A , Mar 16, 2023
  20. Rowdy Dalton

What is the consensus on the best billet TC out there, bang for your buck??

Rowdy Dalton , Mar 16, 2023