Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SBrandon

I rebuilt my transfer case a few months ago because when I put it in 4x all it would do is grind. When I tore it apart the range fork was shot and the middle pad on the mode fork was wasted. So i replaced them and also the slide lock and gear that locks the front drive shaft in. I put all this back together and it seemed to work fine until I hit the brakes decently and BANG grind grind. Now it was back to the same ****. So it is tore down RIGHT NOW AS I TYPE and all i could see wrong was the middle pad on the mode fork was missing one side, I thought i also might be a bent mode fork so I bought one of them and the original was bent about . 065 at the tips. I also checked the snap ring on the end of the output shaft and it seems fine. So does anyone know of anything else I should be looking at. I also looked at shifter linkage being off but nada. Fire away guru's!

SBrandon , Jan 26, 2004
  2. MPalachuk TDR MEMBER

Did you replace the thing the fork moves it could be worn in a way to let it walk out when not under power.

MPalachuk , Jan 26, 2004
  3. SBrandon

that will be the slid lock, yup I replaced it.

SBrandon , Jan 27, 2004
  4. CWebster

Is it full of fluid? I just recently had the same problem. The culprit was no fluid in the transfer case. Evidently, over time there is a way for the fluid to weep out and will eventually go dry. I had the same parts go bad as you, replaced them, filled with fluid, and have had no problems since.

CWebster , Jan 27, 2004
  5. SBrandon

fluid is a problem, it was full but I was using 85w 140 gear lube, according to chrysler it is supposed to be atf fluid. This go around I will use the recommended.

SBrandon , Jan 27, 2004
  6. gonehuntingagain

If I am not mistaken, the transfer case also has an oil pump. I would be curious if it was damaged by trying to pump the thicker 85w-140 gear lube. Also, I would inspect the bearings at the higher points in the case to see if they are toast in case the oil pump didn't move the gear oil.

gonehuntingagain , Jan 27, 2004
  7. Coalsmoke

well, did you figure out hat was the problem?

Coalsmoke , May 27, 2005