Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devan Manis

When my brother gets on his pedal or if he's just pulling up a hill his transfer case starts to grind like its trying to shift into 4hi, but if we are going slow and try to shift it to 4hi it still grinds no matter how fast or slow we are going. If he stops and puts it into 4hi or 4lo it doesn't do it no matter what. Is there any fix to this besides getting a new transfer case also what would be the cause/problem. The truck has a comp box, muffler delete, 4. 10 gears its a 6 speed 01 3500 i think thats everything any info would be awsome and appreciated. if you need any more info on the truck just ask me.

Devan Manis , Dec 24, 2004
  2. Devan Manis

no idea's huh?

Devan Manis , Dec 28, 2004
  3. JTeague

Those 241 HD transfercases are pretty famous for the snapring coming off of the output shaft behind the rear bearing. Might be a place to start.

JTeague , Dec 28, 2004
  4. wtfd6

thats the same thing i would say.

wtfd6 , Dec 28, 2004
  5. Devan Manis

we already checked that but I am not sure which ring we were looking at but the one we saw was fine. is there two or am i missing something. thanks for your help.

Devan Manis , Dec 29, 2004
  6. Jeff Knight

The snap ring broke twice on my 95. Dealer fixed it both times. Same symtoms as yours.

Jeff Knight , Dec 29, 2004
  7. Devan Manis

where does this go?

is there anything that should go in the groove in the second picture? because when I opened it up the thing in the first picture just fell out and i didnt know where it came from.

Devan Manis , Dec 30, 2004
  8. Coalsmoke

I have the same problem, but all of my parts are in place (so I think). Have you figured it out yet? Please reply if you have (my truck is currently down because of this grinding noise). BTW, that spring looks like 1 of 2 rings that hold 3 brass dogs in place. These dogs put tension against the big collar that slides over a set of gears that changes the drive from 2wd into 4wd.

Coalsmoke , May 27, 2005
  9. Texas Diesel

Texas Diesel , May 27, 2005