Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GQuigley

My 2001-1/2 2500 LB CTD Ram has been a little rough while driving on the freeway. I took it to my mechanic who worked on GM truck front ends about 25 years ago. He checked it out and gave me a list of things on the front end that were getting old. It wasn't the shocks but other things. I do tow a 12,000# 5'ver in the summer. I have heard from several other members with a similar truck as mine of things they did to their front end to improve things. I can't find the articles so I was hoping that someone could give me a helping hand from their experience. My mechanic would go by the book for that truck but if improvements have been made I would like go that route.
    Thanks
    Gary

GQuigley , Mar 6, 2018
  2. AEdelheit TDR MEMBER

Looks like you are in the So Cal area, I would contact CJC off road in Bellflower as they handle a large selection of parts for these trucks and are very verse in products.

AEdelheit , Mar 6, 2018
  3. fest3er

In short:
    • Replace the suspension bushings (front and rear); I guarantee they are worn out (especially if they have over 90k miles on them).
    • If 4WD, install a sector-shaft support bearing under the steering gear; this will partly tighten up steering.
    • Address the rear spring packs if they aren't in good shape.
    • If the steering shaft is loose (rattly/wobbly), replace it.
    • If any other steering/suspension components show any wear, replace them.
    • If you have tires that have soft sidewalls, replace them with tires that have stiffer sidewalls.

fest3er , Mar 6, 2018
  4. JMcCoy

3rd gen track bar
    steering box support
    Synergy the rod, drag link, Fox stabilizer $$$
    Control arms if worn
    Ball joints if warn
    Steering box adjustment or replace
    Good alignment w/ extra caster

Do all that and you'll be in high cotton.

JMcCoy , Mar 14, 2018
  5. Joe Mc TDR MEMBER

A little bit more info please = 4X4, Manual/Auto trans

I agree with others = 3rd gen track bar kit, steering box stabilizer (BTW I have one for sale off my 4X4 = complete, see classified adds "2nd gen - non-ending/drivetrain". Can't use it with new PSC steering box), instead of replacing front control arm bushings (assuming 4X4) take a look at Top Gunz Customs tubular upper and lowers cost less than all 8 stock (POS) bushings and their stronger than stock arms and the bushings are serviceable (have zero fittings on all 8), tip if you go the route of replacing arms, or even if you choose to replace the factory business purchase new cam bolts = sometimes you get lucky and they come out no problem but I've had a few buddies that had to cut them out as they were rusted to the bushing sleeves.... Oh, best if you can buy "OEM" cam bolts some of the aftermarket ones are either too big diameter or too short... Another suggestion MAXX Links (sway bar ends) front and rear (assuming you have rear bar) and you can purchase sway bar busing/brackets that are serviceable, = Energy Suspension, etc. Need to measure diameter of bars 32,34 MM... Most of this you can purchase on-line thru Geno's Garage.

Let me know if you're interested in the steering box stabilizer - simple bolt on that supports the small weak pitman arm bearing in our stock steering boxes - one of the main causes for leaks, wander and excess steering wheel play.

Joe Mc , Mar 19, 2018