Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Misenheimer

My 98. 5 24v developed a leak that I thought was a front trans seal but after closer examination it turned out to be the cooler line. The cooler line was worn by the plastic grommets that keep the lines from shaking around, It was worn thin and would have leaked all the trans fluid in a few more miles. I was on the last hundred miles of a 950 mile trip. This is not the first time that vibration has caused trouble with the lines, the first was when I bought the truck and it leaked from the quick connect at the rubber line under the radiator. The quick connect had worn a hole in the flange that keeps the coupling on. I welded the hole closed and filed it back down and have not had any trouble with it. The worn hole I brazed and think that it will be ok. I also got rid of the stock clips and made my own that will not chafe.

Has anyone had this problem? I live with a lot of sand and that might have accelerated the problem.

1998. 5 24v qc 198000 on stock truck including the trans. (bad over run clutch)

Misenheimer , Jun 14, 2007
  2. rweis

You could always replace ALL the metal line with rubber hose which gets rid of all the clips and intermediate connectors. I think they use the metal lines for ease and speed of manufacturing and assembly, but you might have to replace the rubber lines every 100k or so.

Bob Weis

rweis , Jun 15, 2007
  3. AFellows

When I had my trans rebuilt they had the lines touching each other and they quickly wore through. I replaced the lines with push lock hose and fittings from Jegs. Problem solved and easy to install with the push lock fittings.

AFellows , Jun 15, 2007