Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DPKetchum

Have a new 09 1500 hemi. Still have my other trucks. Looking for a decent trailer brake controller that will fit in the chubby hole left lower dash. In another words SMALL. Any suggestions? Thanks

DPKetchum , Aug 3, 2009
  2. jelag

Not all brake controllers are the same... We tow a lot... and heavy... . because we like the ability of a brake controller to add more pressure the harder you push on the brake pedal we use the brake smart... in a panic very fast stop, you get maximum pressure very quickly... . the brake smart uses a sensor in the hydraulic line to read the pressure and increase or decrease the trailer brakes based on this alone...

As you look at them, you'll find their just not all alike...

jelag , Aug 3, 2009
  3. CKelley1

the brake smart or max brake is the only two good controllers on the market they are many time better than any other.

CKelley1 , Aug 3, 2009
  4. Dutch & Di

What do you call small? If you'll give me the measurements of the chubby hole, I'll be happy to find out if the Max Brake Controller will fit. We switched to it in January and loved it so much we added it to our product line. You can give me the measurements here or pm me. Diana

Dutch & Di , Aug 3, 2009
  5. JWaugh

Hensley Tru Control Gold?

what about the Hensley Tru Control Gold? has anyone tried this one. i am looking for a controller that works with electric over hydraulic brakes as my trailer has hydraulic disc brakes

JWaugh , Aug 3, 2009
  6. Dutch & Di

We tried the Hensley Tru Control the end of last year when we started looking for a new controller. For us, we just couldn't get smooth stopping with our Hydraulic disc brakes. We spent 2 days of driving trying to get it to work without success. We did talk to the owner several time [a great guy by the way]and he said his unit works well with electric brakes. Things could have changed since then though. Diana

Dutch & Di , Aug 4, 2009
  7. DPKetchum

3 7/8 wide x 1. 25 high. The depth really dosen't matter

DPKetchum , Aug 4, 2009
  8. jelag

I have a trailer with hydraulic disc brakes... . the brake smart or max brake will both work with these circuits... . the brake smart has a function to keep the hydraulic system charged and ready to go to reduce the time lag... .

Hope this helps. .

jelag , Aug 4, 2009
  9. Grizzly

Another thumbs up for BrakeSmart. It cost more, but it's well worth it.

Grizzly , Aug 4, 2009
  10. KLauber

Prodigy by Tekonsha. a little under 3" wide and 1 3/4" thick. Its like having 8 wheel ABS. About 150 bucks.

Ken

KLauber , Aug 4, 2009
  11. Dutch & Di

The Max Brake is 6" x 1-3/4" so I guess you won't be able to use this one unless you decide on another mounting spot. Diana

Dutch & Di , Aug 5, 2009
  12. CKelley1

mount the brake smart or max brake up about even with the stering wheel.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
    CKelley1 , Aug 5, 2009
  13. tempforce

the electronic brake controllers don't work unless they sense the tow vehicle slowing down. thus i'm sticking with the max brake or brake smart.

i had a situation with the electronic brake controller, that almost caused a wreck due to the slow aplication of the trailer brakes.

no such issue with the hydralic to electric controllers.

tempforce , Aug 5, 2009
  14. MMeier

DP, did you look at the Draw Tite Activator III? Not sure on demensions, but I can check here in a bit, really great controller for the $$$ IMO.

MMeier , Aug 5, 2009