1. Bertram65

I read this motorcycle board from time to time I have not read it in quite a while and found this link to it on another board.

When I first read it I was really shaken up, I still cannot stop thinking about it, I really felt terrible for the man involved and his family. The reason I posted the link is it is a tragic event and it made me realize how everything can change in an instant and how tragic the outcome can be, it really made me appreciate the life I have. It may make you never want to ride again but it could happen in any situation not just motorcyle riding, so as cliche as it sounds enjoy each day to the fullest as you never know what will happen next.

http://zrxoa.org/03Z1Rthreads/hitandrun.htm

Bertram65 , Jun 11, 2004
  2. HEMI®Dart

WOW!

I almost fell off my chair when I read:

ADMINS NOTE: Eric took his life on Friday, June 4, 2004 due to depression and hopelessness brought on by this accident. If you would like to contribute to his 7 year old son's trust fund, please see the details here:

HEMI®Dart , Jun 11, 2004
  3. Steve St.Laurent Staff Member

I am a regular on the zrxoa site and help them out with technical issues on the website from time to time. Eric's story has gone out wide and far across the net as evidenced by the amount of traffic hitting the zrxoa site right now. I had to convert that thread to a static html page on the site because the amount of traffic was crashing their server. The peak amount of traffic had been around 200 users online until yesterday when they hit 490. Eric's story has touched a lot of lives. The zrxoa took up a donation previously to help him out before this latest turn of events. We all feel very deeply for Devin (his son) and hope to do what little we can to help. This is another all too common case of a hit run accident between a car/truck and a bike. Be careful out there my two wheeled brethren - keep your head on a swivel ALWAYS and ride defensively!

Steve St.Laurent , Jun 11, 2004
  4. GFrance

Man that was a gut wrenching story. I quit ridding two years ago after a accident that I could have been decapitated from. But with the good lord looking after me I spoted the line just in time to lay the bike down & slide under it. Six broken ribs, a punctured lung & some road rash. Thirty five years of riding & felt it was time to do something else. My father was killed by a cager April 1st 1952 so I rode for him for years. I never met him for I was still in my mothers tummy. But I knew him through my uncles & cousins who all rode.

GFrance , Jun 11, 2004
  5. Rhondasway

Wow. I'm so sad for him; what a shame he didn't give it some more time, and see that even though he was changed forever, he was indeed blessed to have lived to share the story... I hope his son gets the strong, loving guidance his father won't be there to provide.

My sister and her husband were riding their bike last fall when a pickup turned in front of them. They were going under the speed limit, but he couldn't get it stopped before hitting the truck. Upon impact he was knocked unconscious and the bike went over sliding on both their right legs. He remained unconscious as the medics arrived, whereupon he was air-lifted to Harborview. My sister was taken to another hospital.

I picked her up (now on crutches, as was I because I'd broken my leg) and we went to Harborview. I'll never forget seeing him on the table in the Emergency room, pretty much incoherent and so badly hurt (bleeding, swollen). I would not have recognized this man I've known for over 20 years. It hurt my heart.

He's a Montessory school teacher, but due to head injuries has not been able to return to work yet. He's getting better every day, with functional therapy and multiple surgeries on his knee. For him and my sister, who have 2 children, it has been a very discouraging and trying experience. His medical bills are over 6 figures and counting.

I live daily appreciating the fact that I still have a sister and that my nephew and neice have both of their parents...

Rhondasway , Jun 11, 2004
  6. NPloysa

That is a shame he took his life and left his son, although I am not sure I wouldn't have done the same if it happened to me. He didn't die that day, probably to spread the word of riding and to let people know to be careful.

I had been thinking about getting a bike recently. I read this and now am not so sure.

NPloysa , Jun 16, 2004
  7. nickleinonen

hearing stories like this is never fun... i truely hope the guy driving the brown nissan truck is found, and tortured/beat to death. [i have some more choise words i'd like to say about the feelings i have towards this, but they would look like ****** :(]

nickleinonen , Jun 16, 2004
  8. Texas Diesel

Cant find the words. :(

Texas Diesel , Jun 17, 2004
  9. rfoust

Stories like this one and personal experience is what have led me to vow to never ride on the street again. Too many people that don't see you no matter what or don't care to see a bike.

rfoust , Jun 17, 2004
  10. Dane

Motorcycle riding is dangerous

Motorcycling is very dangerous, street or track.

On the street, I've seen my friends gloved hand sticking out from under a Highway Patrol tarp after comming up on an accident. I missed the ride that day, and was spending the day with my girlfriend. I've seen the result of two motorcycles coliding head on at 140+ mph closing speed.

On the track, the day I got my racing license there was a guy killed in practice. He had all the right gear on, just unlucky. Another time a man was killed in front of his young son when he crashed in front of the pits.

I had a friend crash while trying to pass me in a corner at 105+ mph. He walked away. His bike, leathers, gloves, boots and helmet were a total loss, but they did their job.

Moral to the story is to wear all the gear all the time, but remember sometimes we are just unlucky. Riding is very dangerous, and you should think about who you will leave behind if you have an unlucky day riding.

Dane , Jun 17, 2004
  11. Steve St.Laurent Staff Member

Motorcycling is a HUGE part of my life. I'd just as soon give it up as I would give up breathing - it's in my blood. I have lost several friends due to crashes and I myself was almost killed by a racing crash (spent 5 years in rehab - 6 months learning how to walk again). Yes, motorcycling is a risky activity but so are many other things that we do in life. To me a life without risk wouldn't be a life worth living. What we have to do is do our best to minimize those risks.

In motorcycling for me that means ALWAYS wearing my protective gear which includes a high quality (less than 5 year old) full face helmet, high quality road racing gloves (currently leather & kevlar), motorcycle specific boots, and a minimum of an armored leather jacket and kevlar lined jeans (draggin jeans). If I'm going for a ride just for the rides sake then I'll wear my 1 piece armored road racing leathers. It also means availing yourself of high quality training (racetrack and MSF) and always working on your skills. When riding I always assume that I am 100% invisible and that EVERY car is out to kill me. I never ride right next to another vehicle (I stay back until there is enough room for me ahead of them and then accelerate quickly by) and ALWAYS have an out to my left or right and am prepared to go there in an instant if necessary. I assume that every vehicle about to pull out onto the road will and that every one about to make a left in front of me will also. I watch drivers for body language that indicates they'll be making a change in direction (nearly everyone moves their head slightly left or right before they make even a lane change). When stopped on the road I watch my mirrors behind me to make sure at least 2 cars have stopped completely behind me before I take the bike out of gear and am ready to escape in case they aren't stopping. It also means maintaining your equipment to the highest standards and having a bike that handles and stops well. If my mind isn't in a condition that I can think 100% on my ride then I don't ride - NEVER EVER ride tired.

Does that mean that I'm 100% safe riding? NO. It does mean that I've done everything in my power to make it as safe as possible without giving it up entirely. For me it's well worth the risk for the amount of enjoyment that I get out of it. My wife understood the situation when we got married too (and I wasn't even riding at that time - had just finished up my rehab when we got together). I will give up riding when they slide me into the incinerator. JMHO

<hr>

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "WOW, WHAT A RIDE!"

Last edited: Jun 17, 2004
    Steve St.Laurent , Jun 17, 2004
  12. JConley

I ride my bike almost every day, and I always wear my protective gear. Being a former cop, and being in the military, I am used to being around people that want to kill me, so driving in traffic doesnt bother me at all. All you can do is reduce the risk by paying attention to everyone around you, and look for ways to put more space between you and the cars.

Its too bad this guy killed himself. If all I could do was move my eyes, I would still be thanksfull that I could see my kids grow up.

JConley , Jun 17, 2004