1. svsenger

I am new to the Cummins world. My rig is a 92 intercooled automatic extended cab long bed with 118,000 original miles. 3. 54 rear end. How much 5th wheel can this truck safely haul in stock configuration? My 5th wheel weighs in at 8900 empty and about 10,300 fully loaded. Many thanks from a powerstroke convert.

svsenger , Aug 15, 2011
  2. Bill Stockard

My first CTD ('92 D350) was almost identical to your truck and I towed a fifth wheel with similar weight. It towed successfully all over the lower 48 for 100K miles. I had to be patient with it on steep grades in the mountains since it is only 160 HP and with a 3. 54 axle ratio, it spent a lot of time with Overdrive locked out. The engine spinning at the higher RPM is quite noisy in the cab.

I added a Horton fan clutch to help with the engine cooling when towing in the mountains of the western US in hot summer weather. The torque converter doesn't lock and quite a bit of torque converter heat is transferred to the engine cooling system through the coolant to transmission heat exchanger.

Overall, I was satisfied with the truck and it did a better job towing than the '84 Ford F250 with a Banks turbocharged 6. 9L diesel engine it replaced. However, I would not want to tow a larger, heavier fifth wheel with it.

I have never owned and/or towed with a Ford 7. 3L Powerstroke and cannot give you a comparison. The 7. 3L has more HP and a locking torque converter transmission and may perform better towing your fifth wheel.

Bill

Bill Stockard , Aug 15, 2011