Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCandee1

I have converted a standard fiberglass canopy to fit a 2019 Ram 2500 4x4 CTD crew cab short box. If anyone is interested in more info, let me know. Be forewarned, this may be the most expensive canopy in the world. Works really well though.

4D9541C2-4D20-4A77-8CC1-16883B906366.jpeg #ad

TCandee1 , Jan 10, 2020
    Bill Lins likes this.
  2. CBari

That is pretty sharp I would like to see more pics if you have some.

CBari , Jan 10, 2020
  3. TCandee1

The canopy is from my old 2105 ram eco diesel.
    I had the side doors laser cut out of aluminum. Had to order shorter side windows in order to make everything fit. I spent a lot on the electric locks that operate with the truck key fob but it’s worth it.

I had to cut the sides out of the canopy base to clear the rambox doors. This weakens the canopy considerably so I added some aluminum plates to each corner and attached those to the stock inner bed rails. The canopy sits a little higher than intended because the tops of the bed rails on a Rambox model have thick plastic caps. Removing these would have been an option but would leave large holes where the caps attached. I have attached some pictures. If there are any other questions let me know.

TCandee1 , Jan 11, 2020
  4. TCandee1

Pics

02FBEC59-FF8C-431F-8CF0-808FBBD826D0.jpeg #ad

D19361CB-1641-4CDF-A854-0FAC2105CAED.jpeg #ad

F824B6DF-837B-41F8-A781-C27511081972.jpeg #ad

59A6ACC4-DE95-41CF-B092-679927A9C039.jpeg #ad

90808076-D1CA-4E66-B596-A4336A8C9444.jpeg #ad

TCandee1 , Jan 11, 2020
    Wiredawg and Tyler Sisson like this.
  5. Tyler Sisson

OP, this is EXACTLY what I had planned to do. There are not good options out there. I'd love to pick your brain on this if you would be willing to have a discussion.

I joined this site specifically because of your post.

Tyler

Tyler Sisson , Nov 24, 2020
    Wiredawg likes this.
  6. crispyboy

Nice job - the best of both worlds!

crispyboy , Nov 28, 2020
    Wiredawg likes this.
  7. Hurlburt20

Hurlburt20 , Nov 29, 2020
    Wiredawg likes this.
  8. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Very creative!

Cummins12V98 , Dec 16, 2020
  9. TCandee1

Sorry to anyone who responded to this thread. I did not have the notifications set to tell me when someone posted. I’m back if you have questions.

TCandee1 , Mar 1, 2021
  10. Hurlburt20

What shell did you get to modify to fit? Did you have to do a lot of cutting of the shell?

Hurlburt20 , Mar 19, 2021
  11. TCandee1

It was an ARE from a 2015 ram 1500 CC 6-4 bed ecodiesel. The entire bed rail has to be completely cut out where the rambox doors are. Many other canopies would work. Some characteristics that would aid in the build is smaller side windows. The cuttouts have to be enlarged so if the windows are already really large it makes things more difficult. I had to purchase identical windows that were shorter so there was room I. The new doors.

if you want the doors to lock with the key fob make sure you get a canopy that already has a hole in the glass for the lock. I had to replace the window in mine with plexiglass. I tried to get a glass one made but it isn’t something that was possible.

pay attention to the differences in the cab camera/light on the truck if the canopy is not an exact match. I had to cut a hole in the canopy to clear the camera on the truck. The cool part is I covered the hole with clear plexiglass and now the camera and light work with the canopy too.

I am unsure if all rambox trucks come with the bed rail tie down bars but these help a lot in the install of the canopy.

A8B8A453-C4F7-4ED2-9E0D-3C4028DD9381.jpeg #ad

TCandee1 , Mar 27, 2021
  12. Anthony Hidalgo

@TCandee1 I definitely like the design. I'm trying to replicate this, what was the total cost. I got a LEER topper. I may just settle for brackets to mount it for now. Do you have specs for the brackets you use on the corners?

Anthony Hidalgo , Jul 27, 2021
  13. TCandee1

there isn’t really any way to use brackets to mount the canopy. In the pictures you can see the aluminum sheets that I used. They are bolted to the canopy and also to the truck. I drilled about 1 inch diameter holes through the plastic bed caps Then I mounted rivnuts in the sheet metal bed cap. Then the bolts went through the aluminum sheet into the rivnut. There are also bolts that go through the aluminum sheet and a spacer and into the tea slot on top of the bed rail tiedown bar.

I didn’t really track the total cost of this but if I had to guess I would say I spent around $6000 including the canopy and repainting the canopy and new doors. If your Leer canopy has the full glass rear door with no frame it will be much easier than mine was to do the auto locks.I had to get smaller side windows and have the sheet metal doors fabricated. this was expensive. If the windows on the canopy are already quite large compared to the side of the canopy they may not work. You have to have room for the seal and the locking mechanisms. My existing windows did not allow enough room for all of this so I had to get shorter ones.

TCandee1 , Jul 27, 2021