Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Archive

Hi, I was wondering if any of you had any experience or heard anything about these tires (Dunlop Radial Rover AT)? Looking to get some 285/75/16's on my dad's 2001 HO Cummins. Sears has a steal on this size tires right now, $88 bucks a piece and they have either a 50-60,000 mile warranty. I know the tread won't be that of the BFG but we do not do a whole lot of off-roading, just around hunting season, most of the time it will just be used for normal use and towing to ropings on the weekends.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Kyle

Archive , Jun 4, 2000
  2. Archive

My dad & I have run the 255/85R16 AT's on our '96 2500 CC 4x4 Cummins for 50,000 miles and on the '96 2500 CC 4x4 360 V8 for 45,000 miles. Excellent wear & handling. The Cummins tows a 15K 5th wheel. Personaly I wouldn't spend the money for the BFG's in either of these applications. I currently use America's Tire Pathfinder ATR's (315/75R16) on my '00 2500 QC 4x4 Cummins. I've only got 9K miles on them so far - they have a 60K treadwear warranty.

Brian

Archive , Jun 4, 2000
  3. Archive

I have done lots of research on tires and my next set will be Dunlop rover ATs in LT255/85R16.

------------------
    Dee'sel
    97 2500 Club 4X4 3. 54 LSD 5 speed, K&N air filter RE0880 & Psychotty,
    TST #11 all the way forward, #12 for winter, AFC spring kit,
    TST EGT gauge & TST 0-60 boost gauge in A Pillar
    Silencer Ring removed, Cat-be-gone, 4" exhaust from down pipe,
    Dynomax 4" bullet, Crome 4" turn down, AmsOil 80W-90 in Trans,
    Lund WInter front, Leer Cab Level Shell, 235/85R16 Goodyears
    NRA/USPSA member and proud of it

Archive , Jun 4, 2000
  4. Archive

I had Dunlop RR's (255/85) on alloys on my 97 for a while, the tires performed very well in all conditions. I sold the tires and wheels because of balance problems.
    In retrospect I think the wheels were the problem.

------------------
    1997 4x4 CC 5spd, CPL1553 engine, Horton fan, Sport headlamps, 98 shift levers and console...

Archive , Jun 4, 2000
  5. Archive

I have not tried the Dunlop Rover AT's but I do own a set of Dunlop Mud Rovers and they literally suck. I have about fifteen thousand on them and my buddies racing slicks have more tread depth. I will never own another Dunlop product.

------------------
    1999qclwb4x4,stageIII inj. /boost module, 3" straight pipe, k&n air filter, future mods: 4" exhaust, propane, dual disc clutch, and any other bombs that my come this way.

Archive , Jun 5, 2000
  6. Archive

I accidentally ordered 265/70/16 Rover AT's instead of RV's for my Toyota 4 Runner and kept them anyway. I can say the following after 10,000 miles:

1. They are the quietest, smoothest running tires I have ever used on a 4X4.

2. They handle great on the road and are really impressive on wet pavement.

3. They seem to be wearing like rocks with no visible wear at 10K.

4. They suck off road and in snow or mud. I don't know how they get an M/S rating.

I don't know how this translates to the heavier Ram, but Dunlop AT's are well made tires that are clearly designed for the highway (but they are ok on gravel roads).

------------------
    1999 Quad cab 2500, SB, SLT, 4X4, 5-speed, 3. 54, tow and camper package, Lance 820 camper, Lance cabover stabilizers, Rancho 9000s, Airlift airbags

Archive , Jun 5, 2000
  7. Archive

dodge021, I had the 33x12. 5x16. 5 on my truck when I was stock height. I found these tires to be great. I went off road (mud) and they were even better in the snow. The weight of our trucks is the key. I enjoyed those tires for 25000 miles before my upgrades. That sounds like a great price BTW.

------------------
    '98 ext cab 4x4. Skyjacker 4. 5" lift w/ 36" swampers. 370 injectors, pump done right, Scotty air, HX40 18. 5 housing, JRE stage III fuel plate, McLeod dual disc street clutch-"Mitchellized", Isspro gauges, 4" black smoke puffin'-hear me CUMMIN chrome stacks. A member of the best brotherhood around-TDR.
    **Skyjacker raised**
    **Cummins praised**

Archive , Jun 5, 2000
  8. Archive

I'm reluctant to report my experience with that same tire because it seems at odds with all but one of the comments from other owners.

About three years ago I installed that same Dunlop tire in that same size on my 2wd truck. It came with a 60,000 mile tread wear guarantee. I do not drive off road and the front end was aligned at the same time the tires were purchased. Nonetheless, they wore out in 25,000 miles. I had no problem with the dealer pro rating the next set of tires. He did say the tire had a history of wearing out prematurely in the Northwest area of the country but not so in other areas. I have had excelllent service with the dealer so I have no reason to doubt his explanation. It just seemed a little odd. Later on he informed me they no longer stock that tire because others had that same experience.

From the comments of others I tend to think the treadware problem has since been fixed. However, for what it's worth that was my experience.

------------------
    '94 SLT 2WD, 5 Spd. , TST #6(250/635), 215 HP Injectors, 3. 54, Synthetics, By-Pass Filter, EGT & Boost Gauges, Psychotty Air, BD Exhaust Brake, Horton Fan, 4" Exhaust, Prime-Loc, Cummins Chrome Kit, Gutted Cat, Air Lifts, PIAA's, 255x85Rx16's and copious amounts of 12v Pride.

Archive , Jun 5, 2000
  9. Archive

If you all go to http://www.tirerack.com they do a testing on these and many other tires.

Peep

------------------
    97 Reg. Cab 4x4 auto, Red/Driftwood/Red, SLT Laramie, Camel, Camper Package, Tow Package, 3. 54. Stock! West Lafayette, Indiana

Archive , Jun 7, 2000