1. EBolgiano

Work has offered me an opportunity to move to Bakersfield, Ca. I do not think the smog laws will be a problem because all three vehicles are bone stock. My biggest concern is the state tax liability on the West Coast. For example: state income tax in Mississippi is 6% and property taxes on 400K is $1150/year. I guess I am looking for comments from someone who lives out there. Thanks, Ed B

EBolgiano , Aug 25, 2010
  2. RustyJC

Do any/all of them have the California emissions package - i. e. , are they 50-state vehicles? I don't know if there's a problem or not "importing" a non-California vehicle into the state. I guess our California friends will advise.

Rusty

RustyJC , Aug 25, 2010
  3. BIGNASTY

Bakersfeild?

Nobody live's in Bakersfield it's one of the city's that you just drive on by. Its not in the middle of nowhere it's at the end of nowhere. But that's just my opinion

BIGNASTY , Aug 25, 2010
  4. EBolgiano

The Mercedes was not 50 state legal but, I think a used car can be registered.

As far as Bakersfield goes, I have been working there on loan and I have to agree it is not the most attractive place I have ever seen. And it has the second worst air quality in the US. However, I suppose everyone has their price. Ed B

EBolgiano , Aug 25, 2010
  5. mberry

You won't have any trouble bringing your vehicles in, just be prepared for the fees. My only advice is get out of Bakersfield as often as you can. Get up to Yosemite, or hit Pismo beach. Head to Vegas too. Or whichever direction you want to go just to get some fresher air.

mberry , Aug 25, 2010
  6. BIGNASTY

see

Just a thought you might look into Rosetta Stone

BIGNASTY , Aug 25, 2010
  7. dresslered

Bignasty,

I'm laughing because a co-worker of mine just bought his dream home there. It was new, big, and cheap. Now it is worth half that. The good news is that there are some strong conservative values there.

dresslered , Aug 25, 2010
  8. scootergmc

You really should visit before you decide to move.

I'm of the opinion that anything down the middle of the state from Lebec north to Stockton is a rathole armpit, and I live just north of Stockton. :D Regardless, it's one of the premier agriculture regions of the world, and it's going full bore right now. At least there's one thing that's better than where you're at now, and that's the Mexican food.

You shouldn't have any problem registering your vehicles, so long as there's over 7500 miles on each. But nothing here is cheap, tax/fees wise. Be prepared to bend over. If you're into guns and that sort of stuff, Kern County tends to be a firearms friendly community.

Bankrate does a pretty good job of simplifying the income tax: California state taxes
    BTW, it may be a little higher if the Democrats have their way for the state budget, which by the way, is late again.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2018
    scootergmc , Aug 25, 2010
  9. EBolgiano

Thanks for the link! I have been out in the area for several months now. Simi Valley was ok and Suisun City was nice. I have heard Bakersfield called the armpit and I can not argue that. Diane (wife) pointed out to me today that the offer of 250K would actually be less than current with a greater tax liability. And the cost of living in rural Mississippi is quite reasonable. I do have another meeting Thursday and will address taxes with the big boss. Hopefully he will up the ante! Ed B

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2018
    EBolgiano , Aug 25, 2010
  10. BIGNASTY

Im not laughing

Im not laughing im trying to last 3 more years then anyone that want's COMMIECAL can have it. Calif has been good to me ive made a great living and sent both kids to USC but I had to pay for it. Now every A**** that can swim or crawl across the border can have any service they want for FREE. Just crap out a kid and your one of us well in my world (as strange as it may be) that just ain't the way it is. I dont want to rain on your parade I hope everything works out BIGNASTY

BIGNASTY , Aug 26, 2010
  11. dresslered

I was referring to Bakersfield being at the end of nowhere. Both me and my co-worker were born and raised in California and share your same views. I am currently pulling my pay from the Silicon Valley, but with all the taxes going up to pay for these entitlements, their driving the jobs out.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
    dresslered , Aug 26, 2010
  12. CBlack

I'd stay in Mississippi (or move to Louisiana :D). I've lived in Kommiefornia and will never move back.

Based upon your avatar, I assume you work offshore?

CBlack , Aug 27, 2010
  13. sarj TDR MEMBER

armpits across the world are offended.

You need a very good reason to want to live in California. I have two. Income tax here is what it is, Sales Tax is high, vehicle registration is beyond a joke, and I'm grandfathered in for my property taxes. The property taxes would go up by 4x if I moved to the house next door. New taxes through "use fees" is getting insipid.

If you don't surf, or aren't married to an industry that has no alternative employment prospects outside of California, I would be very hard pressed to give you an argument for moving here. If you have kids, you will be seriously jeopardizing their future unless you are a committed homeschooler. Even at that, the culture raising kids here is toxic. The weather is nice for year-around anything. The political culture makes future living-condition prospects bleak. I've done very well here, but it's a different place today. I'm a sixth generation Californian, and the place is nothing like it was even 25 years ago. I've got one foot out the door.

Mind you, this is a perspective from Southern California. You may find a different experience in a more rural area. If I had to do Bakersfield, I'd move pretty far out of town and live in the hills around it... or work out a flex-working schedule. I'd have to have a really good reason to relocate to Purgatory.

sarj , Aug 28, 2010
  14. EBolgiano

Interesting comments. Kinda what I expected. And yes my employment is energy related. The only reason I would even consider the offer is that it would be a move from engineering to "inner circle" management. And the stock options alone in the next 10 years would be in excess of $1m. Still the taxes kind of negate a lot of things. They have offered to fly Diane out there and show her around. And when her Tennessee redneck attitude gets out there that will probably be the end of story. Thanks for the comments. Ed B

EBolgiano , Aug 28, 2010
  15. dresslered

Ed,

Go for it. Get the money while it is available. Then retire any place you please.

David, native Kalifornian

dresslered , Aug 28, 2010
  16. mberry

If you don't take the job, I will. I grew up in Cali, northern rural farm area just like the area around Bakersfield. I'll keep my house in NV whether I want to or not and keep all my vehicles registered there so I don't have to deal with the Cal DMV garbage. :-laf

mberry , Aug 30, 2010
  17. BIGNASTY

I find your comment about N Calif. and you will take the S calif job funny. any other time the folks in N Calif wanted to be their own state away form S Calif In this Chicken **** state if it weren't for S Calif N Calif would have been a burden (oh they are) after the spotted owl crap the only thing that N Calif has is tourism

BIGNASTY , Sep 3, 2010
  18. BIGNASTY

oil refinery

Are you going to work at the oil refinery that has been bought and sold by just about everyone in the oil industry? open / closed/open/ closed.

BIGNASTY , Sep 8, 2010
  19. Superglide

Ed,

Do you work for Baker-Hughes? Reason I ask is because a buddy of mine works for them as a directional driller and was just sent back there. He was then offered a position to stay there and I think he's still mulling it over.

Superglide , Sep 8, 2010
  20. mberry

Believe me, I have no desire to return to Cal for any other reason than to get a higher paying job and take better care of my family. I have no desire to go back to state income taxes and DMV, and all the other BS reasons not to return. It's even further away from my family than I am now. I remember the whole "owl" thing and the NCAL wanting to be its own state. What a joke.

mberry , Sep 14, 2010