1. JKreiss

Got this email at work the other day and thought i'd share.

Tips for Handling Telemarketers

Three Little Words That Work!!

(1)The three little words are: 'Hold On, Please... '

Saying this, while putting down your phone and walking off (instead of

hanging-up immediately) would make each telemarketing call so much more

time-consuming that boiler room sales would grind to a halt.

Then when you eventually hear the phone company's 'beep-beep-beep' tone, you

know it's time to go back and hang up your handset, which has efficiently

completed its task.

These three little words will help eliminate telephone soliciting. .

(2) Do you ever get those annoying phone calls with no one on the other end?

This is a telemarketing technique where a machine makes phone calls and

records the time of day when a person answers the phone.

This technique is used to determine the best time of day for a 'real' sales

person to call back and get someone at home.

What you can do after answering, if you notice there is no one there, is to

immediately start hitting your # button on the phone, 6 or 7 times as quickly

as possible. This confuses the machine that dialed the call, and it kicks your

number out of their system. Gosh, what a shame not to have your name in their

system any longer!!!

(3) Junk Mail Help:

When you get 'ads' enclosed with your phone or utility bill, return these

'ads' with your payment. Let the sending companies throw their own junk mail

away.

When you get those 'pre-approved' letters in the mail for everything from

credit cards to 2nd mortgages and similar type junk, do not throw away the

return envelope.

Most of these come with postage-paid return envelopes, right? It costs them

more than the regular 44 cents postage, 'IF' and when they receive them back.

It costs them nothing if you throw them away! The postage was around 50 cents

before the last increase and it is according to the weight. In that case, why

not get rid of some of your other junk mail and put it in these cool little,

postage-paid return envelopes.

One of Andy Rooney 's (60 minutes) ideas.

Send an ad for your local chimney cleaner to American Express. Send a pizza

coupon to Citibank. If you didn't get anything else that day, then just send

them their blank application back!

If you want to remain anonymous, just make sure your name isn't on anything

you send them.

You can even send the envelope back empty if you want to just to keep them

guessing! It still costs them 44 cents.

The banks and credit card companies are currently getting a lot of their own

junk back in the mail, but folks, we need to OVERWHELM them. Let's let them

know what it's like to get lots of junk mail, and best of all they're paying

for it... Twice!

Let's help keep our postal service busy since they are saying that e-mail is

cutting into their business profits, and that's why they need to increase

postage costs again. You get the idea!

If enough people follow these tips, it will work ---- I have been doing this

for years, and I get very little junk mail anymore.

JKreiss , Sep 7, 2010
  2. MVenditti

I love it. I have always hated that junk and having to recycle it. It's on now. As for the phone if the caller ID doesn't show who it is I don't answer. If it's important they will leave a voicemail message. When I call places i get machines so let them too.

MVenditti , Sep 7, 2010
  3. PC12Driver

Some other ideas:

Register on the national Do Not Call list here.

Place yourself on the Direct Marketing Association's Do Not Mail list here.

Prevent credit agencies from sharing your credit info to companies that offer pre-approved credit or insurance by registering here.

Maybe not quite as satisfying as the above suggestions, but they'll actually stop the calls and minimize the mail.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2018
    PC12Driver , Sep 8, 2010
  4. BullyDogJason

I like it.

I usually dont answer my phone if i dont know the number tho

BullyDogJason , Sep 9, 2010
  5. JKreiss

Yeah i thought there were a few good ones in there. I'm actually having fun with it now, i'm packing the crap out of these envelopes and can't get the junk mail back to them fast enough:-laf

JKreiss , Sep 10, 2010
  6. BIGNASTY

Door to Door Religion

We have door to door religion sales all the time. To stop it was easy go to the door (make sure there is no kids in the sales team)in your underwear with your hand in your shorts pull your hand out and offer it to shake hands. YOU WILL HAVE NO MORE SALES OFFERS:-laf

BIGNASTY , Sep 10, 2010
  7. dresslered

I always send one person’s junk mail to the next person’s junk mail in the pre-paid postage return envelope. It is just unbelievable the stack that goes out every Monday morning. Yes, it costs them more than a 44-cent stamp, and even more to process it. I’m just doing my part to help out the post office.

As far as the “do not call list”, there are so many exceptions from the restriction (thanks to the politicians), it really hasn't done that much good. I usually ask the solicitor to please hold on the line while I tend to something boiling over on the stove. I set the receiver down, then go back outside and finish my beer while they wait for who knows how long. Yet another strategy I’ve been using when they ask for Mr. Dressler, I say, "Hold on a second, I'll get him". I then hand the phone to my 1-1/2 year old. He doesn't seem to mind them yet and always wants to tell them about Elmo. :-laf

dresslered , Sep 10, 2010
  8. Skydiver

For the door to door interrogators, I have printed a small sign taped beside my door bell.
    Day sleeper, Ring bell at own risk !!
    It works.
    Also, a burglar breaks no law by ringing your door bell and pretending to be lost if you answer. If they get no answer then they take step two,,,inside your home.

Skydiver , Sep 11, 2010
  9. BIGNASTY

It wont work

Im sorry it wont work (day sleeper ring bell ) Unless you have in the Mexican chicken scratch

BIGNASTY , Sep 13, 2010
  10. tempforce

anouther good one for the telemarkerter. is to ask for their home number so that you can call them back when your not busy.

tempforce , Sep 14, 2010