Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turbo Terry

You guys must have some long arms to reach over the tire . Or are you removing the tire.

Turbo Terry , Oct 7, 2022
  2. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

Try it thru the fender and from the top, and see which way you like best. I am hearing the removing the intake on the newest ones in very easy. You may have to stand on a small ladder.

SnoKing , Oct 7, 2022
  3. kthaxton TDR MEMBER

I have average arms I suppose, no problem reaching the filter.

kthaxton , Oct 7, 2022
    Cummins2014 likes this.
  4. Bob G

My issue / question is that there has to be some sort of trick in getting the new filter to line up and start on the thread !

How are you guys doing it? I struggle with it for quite a while the other day before giving in and having my wife direct me from the top while I was reaching in thru the fender (I take the tire off as it just makes things easy to get to)

Later,

Bob

Bob G , Oct 7, 2022
    jetmechabq likes this.
  5. kthaxton TDR MEMBER

I suppose it is just one of those muscle memory/practice/feel things. You do it a few times and its a non-issue.

kthaxton , Oct 7, 2022
    AH64ID, bcbender, Cummins2014 and 2 others like this.
  6. Turbo Terry

Yes I did my my 99 upside down from the top for years. Sometimes I struggled with it other times it just threaded right on. I suppose the dealer has it on a lift tires hanging down or tires on the lift . Wonder if they pull the tire/rim off?

Turbo Terry , Oct 7, 2022
  7. Topzide TDR MEMBER

Before I relocated my filter along with a bypass, through the fender was no issue. Used the tire as a rest point to lean in on. Spinning the filter onto threads was always a hit or miss. Sometimes first try others not so lucky. Just tight spot to get it going and can't get hand all the way around the filter. Fat fingers don't help either! At least it wasn't between the down pipe and block like on my 1500 and at an angle! Don't slip! :eek:

Topzide , Oct 7, 2022
    Cummins2014 likes this.
  8. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Don't listen to the NAY-SAYERS. From the TOP is quick and EASY and even easier on the 19's and up.

5/16" nut driver and filter strap wrench, no special tools.

Cummins12V98 , Oct 7, 2022
  9. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

I did it on a 21 from the TOP and it was EZZZZZ.

10. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

I simply don't see it being easy to pre fill the filter with one quart (per Cummins) slip it into the hole and spin it on without spilling a drop. Even using the plug.

11. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

It's a 7mm Hex for the clamps and prefilling isn't needed nor helpful. The pump fills that filter within a second after startup.

Ozymandias , Oct 8, 2022
    AH64ID and Rob S like this.
  12. NIsaacs

Actually, the clamp is 8mm or 5/16's, same thing. I use my 1/4" drill/driver, zip zip off, zip zip on:)

NIsaacs , Oct 8, 2022
  13. Topzide TDR MEMBER

Off the rails again! :eek::p:D

Topzide , Oct 8, 2022
    bcbender and Cummins2014 like this.
  14. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

Isn't why the one gallon Ziploc bag was invented. EZ to slide over the filter from the top and not a drop of oil left it the engine bay. I would venture to say most of the from the top nay sayers have never even tried it that way.

SnoKing , Oct 8, 2022
  15. Cummins2014

And you never will ,because you have never done it . Not a drop with the pre fill , and the cap from Genos . Same when removing ,screw it of lower it down screw the cap on , grab the ring on the cap ,and pull it out . The cap seals up on the gasket same as when installing , and it doesn't take much , and it's easy to remove .

Cummins2014 , Oct 8, 2022
    Topzide and Rob S like this.
  16. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

Not AGAIN…….

This is worse than the oil and transmission wars back in the day.
    F81CF3C0-E635-43F3-A141-B39C52D14C79.jpeg #ad

BigPapa , Oct 8, 2022
    Topzide and Cummins2014 like this.
  17. Cummins2014

No ,zip lock was invented to freeze your favorite steak . :D I have to ask ,why the zip lock from the top ? I did it either once or twice from the top , no need for the zip lock, to me it was just a PITA leaning over that fender ,and doing that balancing act to screw the filter back on .

To answer the OP about arm length , I turn the wheel all the way to the left , and it gives you a bit more reach, but I've forgotten to do that after draining the oil ,and it's still not an issue to reach the filter .

18. Cummins2014

For me it's just the feel , seems to go right on , the filter more or less guides itself up in there ,no other place to go .

19. petersonj TDR MEMBER

I use the inner fender method to remove the oil filter and then I use the top method to install the new one. The next time I change the oil filter, I reverse the process.

I do it this way to gain the respect of all the members knowledgeable on this topic.

- John

petersonj , Oct 8, 2022
  20. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

Bowser prefers going at it from below…..

C294C9B9-FE6A-4853-9BB6-F0FD186E1395.png #ad

BigPapa , Oct 8, 2022
    06 Dodge, CEppinger, lpennock and 4 others like this.