1. BIGNASTY

Forestry tools aren't what they used to be. Need suppliers of tools that are meant to work, I'm tired of snapping handles on Cants, Peavey or bending the metal crap. Thanks in advance

BIGNASTY , Jan 15, 2020
  2. mwilson TDR MEMBER

mwilson , Jan 15, 2020
  3. JR

They aren't cheap but I have the Stihl brand can't hook and it is pretty dang durable. I got the 60" handle to make it easier for the kids to use, and after using it for a while I actually prefer it over the traditional 48.
    Supposedly according to my Stihl dealer they are made by Logrite who makes alot of forestry tools. The Logrite looks identical except in color and was $30-40 Less than the Stihl brand at the time, but by the time I factored shipping in for the Logrite the Stihl was only a few bucks more and available right up the road, so I chose to buy local (Stihl).

(Edited for clarification)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    TFucili likes this.
  4. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Stihl is top notch, expensive but works.

Ozymandias , Jan 15, 2020
    TFucili likes this.
  5. TRAMPLINEMAN TDR MEMBER

We use the Peavey brand spoons and spades almost daily. We’ve noticed over the last 20ish years the quality of wood used for the handles has gone downhill. We used to break a handle maybe once every few months. Now a days, we’re breaking 3-4 handles every couple weeks. Broke three handles this past Monday digging on the same hole.

TRAMPLINEMAN , Jan 15, 2020
  6. BIGNASTY

3 of my saws are Stihl one is Husqvarna. The Stihl's are nice but the Husky is my go to saw for felling IT JUST FITS & HAS POWER TO SPARE
    Never used any of their other equipment from either.

People say I'm asking to much from the tools, I use the mules because I like to work that way & it doesn't seem to tear up the forest floor as bad using them rather than a tractor. That said I do tend to put a lot of pressure on wooden (and cheap metal) handles rather than reposition the mules to do the work (its just faster to use or abuse a tool)

Working in the woods alone with just me & my mules is one of my GREAT PLEASURES until the risk of injury from inferior equipment enters my mind

BIGNASTY , Jan 15, 2020
    TRAMPLINEMAN likes this.
  7. jhenderson

Trees aren’t what they used to be. Used to be the wood ( usually ash) came from older trees with tight growth rings. Modern forestry cuts the poor trees first, opening the canopy so the most vigorous trees grow faster. This brings a better return for the land owner at the expense of wider and therefore weaker growth rings. For my money, Peavy is still the best there is.

jhenderson , Jan 15, 2020
    TRAMPLINEMAN likes this.
  8. TFucili

I was still in the hardware business when the influx of Chi-Com tools started. At that point a good handle cost more than the tool it was meant for. High quality handle manufacturers who utilized premium ash and hickory, and quality finishes were rendered obsolete. Welcome to China.

TFucili , Jan 15, 2020
    Ozymandias likes this.
  9. Tractorat

Thats why its a waste of money to put cedar shakes on your house.

Tractorat , Jan 15, 2020
  10. TRAMPLINEMAN TDR MEMBER

I’ve got three Stihls, one Husqvarna and one Jonsered. I do quite a bit of tree trimming and tree removal on my off days . For the past two years, my go to saw has been my Milwaukee battery powered saw. I won’t lie, when I was first introduced to this saw, I laughed at it. I said there is no way this thing will last let alone do the things I want it to.
    It has proven me wrong many times over. Everyone that has used my saw has gone and bought one for themselves.

TRAMPLINEMAN , Jan 15, 2020
  11. JR

Do you notice any differences between the Jonesred and the Husky? I've seen them at Tractors Supply the last few years right next to the Homeowners Husky saws. They look alot alike.

12. TFucili

When I was in the business Electrolux owned Jonsered, Husqvarna, and Poulan. Many models were shared, including with Sears. Since many times the only difference was the color of the plastic, Stihl referred to them as "the rainbow saws".

TFucili , Jan 16, 2020
    JR and Ozymandias like this.
  13. TRAMPLINEMAN TDR MEMBER

The two I have are quite different. My Husky is from ‘09 and the Jonsered is from the ‘70’s. I haven’t been around any newer Jonsereds.

TRAMPLINEMAN , Jan 16, 2020
  14. jhenderson

Electrolux bought Jonsereds years ago. Now many Jonsereds saws are being relabeled RedMax as Electrolux is trying to boost that brand. The models are internally identical to husqvarna. My 2172 is the same as a 372 husky. My 2188 is the same as a 390, etc. Only the top handle and body panels are different. All replacement engine parts come in husky parts bags with husky part numbers.

jhenderson , Jan 16, 2020
  15. TFucili

Back than Red Max and Zenoah were part of Komatsu, I think.

TFucili , Jan 16, 2020
  16. BIGNASTY

The Husky is the 390 ?? ( I believe its XP) Its a serious kick xxx saw nothing against the Stihl's they are superior tools but the Husky just feels good. I fell trees with the husky once several are down I fire up a 291 Stihl to limb and use the 880 Stihl to cut my rounds I have a 170 Stihl that Penny uses when she feels adventurous.

BIGNASTY , Jan 16, 2020
  17. mfurrh55

• 20190510_162932.jpg #ad
      I've got 11 of these stihls different sizes and 2 stihl pole saws,Stihl is all we use in Disaster Relief, 4 of my saws are 2004 year models and still work great

mfurrh55 , Jan 16, 2020
    TFucili likes this.
  18. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Almost 30 years ago in Forestry school i used to use Jonsered Saws, good Tools back then.
    Today i prefer Stihl. I even carry a 192 with me on our Trip. Nifty little thing, quite powerful for its size.
    Did a lot of work with it on Mike's property last spring.

Ozymandias , Jan 16, 2020
    TFucili likes this.
  19. mfurrh55

I have a 192 that i carry up tree with me, one handed and lightweight

mfurrh55 , Jan 16, 2020
    TFucili likes this.
  20. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Yeah, a dangerous tool for kick back but i love it because of its small size. Easy to store in my camper.

Ozymandias , Jan 16, 2020