1. RedD250

Hey all,

I usually hang out in the first gen forum, but I've been toying with the idea of getting a 3rd gen instead. Looking at the pre smog 5.9 Cummins trucks. Much more aftermarket support, and it'd be a lot more livable day to day. Any particular things I should look out for when searching? Also, what's everyone getting for MPG? I get 19-21 in my first gen automatic. Is that possible with one of these? Thanks!

RedD250 , May 27, 2024
  2. Darkbloodmon TDR MEMBER

I could've sworn there was a buyers guide by generation posted to each sub forum but I guess not.

More aftermarket support : Yes

Livable day to day : Subjective - The interiors don't hold up over time and were made poorly with lesser materials from the factory. A common option if you can afford it is to swap a 4th Gen interior into a third gen, or get a later model higher trim level third gen.

As to what to look out for:

Watch out for the heavily modified ones; there's always more to the story and a paper trail can be hard to come by to prove any of it.

The biggest achilles heel in my opinion (feel free to disagree) are the fuel systems. Alot of the running condition issues with the engine can be traced back to something on the injection and or the delivery side of it. Not that the fuel systems are "bad" per see but they can cause alot headache if not properly diagnosed for the issue at hand, and parts can get very expensive very fast after the small stuff.

For the 3rd gen trucks there is a split in that generation. The Early '03 - '04 model year trucks are speced differently than the later trucks ('04.5+) that followed in several ways. Piston bowl/ injector nozzle type(emissions), pilot injection programing on the ECU, transmission options for the manuals NV45, NV56 vs G56, HO engine variants, different trouble codes/ECU functions, body and interior styling, etc.

I'm not versed in the automatics but im sure many others could tell you a tale of 1000 nights about them.

MPG: Variable - 19-21 sounds high imo for third gens, usually its around 16-18 but it all depends on your truck and how its set up. Tire type, air pressure, air filter, fuel system, aerodynamics, weight, driving habits, etc. Tuning can help mpgs significantly.

Don't forget the usual Dodge stuff, front end heavy and eat tires/joints, electronic issues with age, automatic transmission issues, HVAC, etc. Im forgetting stuff but hopefully others will chime in.

As long as this reply is it's just a short and sweet off the top of my head, there's a lot more detail per model year once you figure out what specifically you want your 3rd gen to have. i.e. " Early 03, Manual trans, manual T case, 3500 SRW, Long bed"

Just give some details on what exactly you're looking for and im sure we'll be able to give you some good advice.

Be warned these trucks may not be as old as your first gen but they are still old, some parts are getting hard to find.

Darkbloodmon , May 27, 2024
  3. RedD250

If there is a buyers guide, I didn't see one. Thanks for the info. I'm looking for an early one because I like the front end better. 2003-2005. But if the 2006 to early 07 trucks are better, I'm not totally against one of them. I had an '07 1500 back in 2007. It was a good truck.

RedD250 , May 27, 2024
    Darkbloodmon likes this.
  4. Darkbloodmon TDR MEMBER

I would say the later model trucks have a better interior if that's your focus coming from a 1st gen. Also the mega cab option which is becoming a unicorn for third gens. Check out the Classifieds someone posted an early body style 3rd gen there. Looks pretty turn key with records.

To be honest I love that interior he swapped in. If I had to guess it's at least 4-5K in parts(interior) alone for the condition its in.

Darkbloodmon , May 27, 2024
    Tuesdak likes this.
  5. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Well, what to say about a twenty years old Truck?
    Maybe it gets the Job done without CELs?

I would buy it again probably if needed.

Very reliable compared to other vehicles I've owned in life.

Ozymandias , May 27, 2024
    Tuesdak likes this.
  6. lionrampant TDR MEMBER

I did the front seat exchange to 4th gen seats. Pretty much plug and play, the mounting holes are the same. I didn't change out the rear seats as we don't use them, they're never folded down. A few differences in the electric seats, but not enough to be an issue.
    -Ken

lionrampant , May 28, 2024
  7. MarkEagleUSA TDR MEMBER

MarkEagleUSA , May 28, 2024
  8. NIsaacs

I recommend you take a good look at a 4th gen. You can't not like them:) Fine truck inside and out.

Bigger cab, factory exhaust brake, 6 spd transmission and factory brake controller. They are still being built today, so parts availability will last a long time.

'11.5-'12 has way more power than the '10-'11. '13 and up uses DEF, not a bad thing and even more power.

There are some differences between 2500 and 3500, do some research.

I have 330k on my 1st gen, 370k on my 2nd gen. Still both fine trucks but they seem ratty after my '21, so I rarely drive them now.

NIsaacs , May 28, 2024
  9. RedD250

Yeah, the 4th gen trucks are nice. I had a 2009 big horn crew cab. It was the 1500/hemi. Loved that truck, but I traded it in for a Challenger. However, it would probably be too expensive to get a 4th gen Cummins. I've only got a little over $20k to play with, and I want to have enough left over for an 8" lift and 38s. I'm kinda changing my mind about selling my '93 to get more cash, I know I'd regret it. But I'd still like a newer truck.

RedD250 , May 28, 2024
    NIsaacs likes this.
  10. Regcabguy

Ditto. Maybe an auto though.

Regcabguy , May 28, 2024
  11. promisedland

My son just bought a 06 3500 for $20k.
    Clean truck with 180k miles.
    Found it on one if those cars-for-sale apps.

promisedland , May 28, 2024
  12. TRAMPLINEMAN TDR MEMBER

I think you’d regret the 8” lift and 38’s even more!

TRAMPLINEMAN , May 29, 2024
    Ozymandias and bcbender like this.
  13. PLohr

Our 2003 2WD manual transmission truck sees 20-21 MPG. Only modification are the BBI 0.1 injectors.

Interior is like the guys here are saying. Not that great. Comforts sound to be better with the newer trucks. Should I expect the durability of the interior to be like a Honda or Toyota, on the newer trucks?

Have you read about the issues with EGR, particulate filters, regeneration, etc. on the newer trucks?

PLohr , May 29, 2024
    Darkbloodmon and Tuesdak like this.
  14. Tuesdak

Why do you want a newer pickup? The "lift" and bigger tires are asking for $$$$ trouble $$$$.

Figure at least $2k to dump into a used pickup for repairs after you buy. $5K if it needs HPCR injectors. Oh you can buy cheap injectors than figure $10K after cheap injectors melt the engine down.

You couldn't give me a FREE a pre-DEF DPF equipped 4th gen. They weren't production ready and IMO forced the EPA to allow the use of DEF to meet their unobtainable NOx levels.

My 2003 NV5600 2WD, because other transmissions offered were not known to be reliable behind the Cummins, would hit 21 MPG with the A/C off. I find it's cheaper to own a 4th gen with DEF than it was to own the 2003 and it's love of expensive parts. (Engines, injectors, turbo, trans rebuild, dash, seat cushions...) I have a WARRANTY for the power level the 2003 was at. Emissions concerns for the DEF pickup of mine are See Warranty although I have not had any warranty claims on emissions.

Sadly I have more miles on my 2018 now than I ever got out of the used 2003. Your luck may be better.

I liked the non head restraint 2003 seats better than the 2018 seats. The window switches had a better quality you could "feel". Dash cracks even with a dash cover and seat cushions with the painful bar where it didn't belong in the seat...

Look at the price of a N E W Tradesman vs. "Used Pickup". Punch a couple options and the price difference with easy financing over "USED" isn't that much. Esp. when you figure ongoing parts cost used typically need. Finance: Put your cash to work elsewhere as vehicles are a bad investment.

Last edited: May 29, 2024
    Tuesdak , May 29, 2024
    NIsaacs, Darkbloodmon and bcbender like this.
  15. bcbender TDR MEMBER

Exactly why I sold my 04... and I only had 192k on it but spent at least a thousand a year (some times more) over 10y keeping it running.. was needing injectors et al. when sold so thought that'd be another 5k as stated.

bcbender , May 29, 2024
    NIsaacs likes this.
  16. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

I can't recommend the Tradesman trim.

Ozymandias , May 29, 2024
  17. Tuesdak

You might take a look at the Tradesman Trim level in person as it's well equipped over a 3rd gen with a SIMPLE radio and A/C. Add fog lamps, carpet, cloth seats, and electric adjustable seat... From my 2003 SLT all I miss is the adjustable tilt on the seat and fog lights. Mine has the popular equipment group with carpet/cloth though.

Tuesdak , May 29, 2024
    NIsaacs and Ozymandias like this.
  18. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Just the basic dash with the non adjustable steering wheel would be a no go for me, I believe in gauges and if I can get them from the factory it is great. Then the headlights that are close to candles. The seats that aren't as adjustable. Heated steering wheel is a great addition in cold country. The good stereo with all connectivity features. And so on.

Again, I have no problem if someone wants a Tradesman, I'm cool with it - but it must be an educated decision of the shortcomings that come with it.

Oh, I've driven two Tradesmans within the last 4 years, so I know them a bit.

Last edited: May 29, 2024
    bcbender likes this.
  19. bcbender TDR MEMBER

I have the Limited and have had all Laramie(s) before that, so I totally get your point Ozzy for sure and agree with you, especially when unfitting usually is not much less than stepping up a trim level and the trim level helps re-sale more than the selected upfit.

My only point was what folks think the old trucks are worth is absurd to say the least, there are not a lot of 1s out there if any and surely not with a 1/4 mil miles on em. I let mine go during covid for a what I considered was a fair deal with as much as I sold it for in extra add ons $$ with it. Today's used market is financial suicide with the asking price for trucks with over 100k on the clock at about 10k below new (on 4th gens at least) and 3rd gens north of 20 with over 200k on them is simply crazy. One can wax, wash, polish and clean all they want to move them but the real money comes out a year or so down the road especially when the clear coat starts peeling. The only thing I miss about my 04 is the engine sound (windows down in the hills...), otherwise I have double the TQ and 25% more HP with a 8y warranty. And FWIW, I feel that 105k for my same truck ( if I ordered now) is also absurd.... but likely a better deal depending on your financial situation (especially if financing) than one 2~3 yrs old with 100k on it and only a pittance less.... we live in strange times for sure..

JM2C. :rolleyes:

bcbender , May 29, 2024
    NIsaacs and Ozymandias like this.
  20. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Oh yeah, I'm totally with you here. This is the new "go old school" trend. I heard that it is the same with pre Emissions farm equipment. Old Jonny's seem to sell higher then brand new ones.
    I had the same idea in 2012 when I got my 04.5 - didn't thought of that but hey, I was a trendsetter once in life.

Topzide and bcbender like this.