Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 14ram

Last time I changed the oil rather than battle the fender cutout and dumping hot oil everywhere I pulled the air intake and found about a teaspoon of oil sitting in front of the turbo wheel cleaned it up good including the oily film on blades.

Is this ok? Normal?

Also I noticed the black metal pipe that feeds into the air intake was pretty rusty inside is this normal?

Thanks

14ram , Apr 19, 2016
  2. sag2 TDR MEMBER

With the closed crankcase the oil can and will get in the inlet side. I would not be concerned unless it starts using oil.

sag2 , Apr 20, 2016
  3. 14ram

Thank you sir from your posts I take it you are a ram/cummins tech I appreciate your advice.

The truck seemed used a little oil from brand new maybe 1.5 qts over 6 months approx 8000 miles I am at 33000 miles and have not had any oil use since around 2nd oil change approx 16000 miles.

I daily drove the truck the first year only towed light a couple of times now towing a 5th wheel fairly frequently in the second year. i figured/hoped the oil use would stop after it got broke in good which it did apparently.

Any thoughts on the rusty pipe? Condensation perhaps?

Have another oil change coming up in a couple months I will be sure to remove the intake again and see if we have more oil.

Thanks

14ram , Apr 20, 2016