1. NIsaacs

I am trying to put together a purchase in Seven Valleys, PA. and Findley, OH. I am looking to see if anyone with a trailer is interested in a nice warm trip to Snowflake, AZ, it was 77* yesterday:)

The load in PA. is a Patz tub grinder, and a chipper in OH. Just guessing here: the Patz Grinder is about 3,000lbs and the Gravely Chipper 5,000lbs, they are both about 10'-12' long and about 7' wide.

It is about 2300 miles from PA-OH-AZ, I think TDR member Okie-Go has a 40' trailer so this is only a half a load:D so maybe $2000.......?

Here are some pic's: To help with sizing, the tub is 6', Thanks.

chipper.jpg #ad
    patz.jpg #ad

Nick

chipper.jpg #ad

patz.jpg #ad

NIsaacs , Mar 11, 2017
  2. jgillott TDR MEMBER

No help for you on a private hauler. However, if you end up needing it, I have a friend here that runs a large scale trucking company out of PA. I could get you the contact info if it gets to that point. However, I know it isn't going to be $2000.

jgillott , Mar 11, 2017
  3. GAmes TDR MEMBER

No legitimate hauler will travel that distance for $2000, except maybe the clowns on Shipping Wars. If you average 13mpg with your deckover, to and from, you could do the job yourself for about $900 in fuel.

GAmes , Mar 11, 2017
  4. NIsaacs

He will if he has a 40+' trailer and can pick up another half a load for another $2,000. It's hard to compete with a big truck, they can haul 5 pieces of equipment on their 48+' trailers, I doubt they will turn down a possible $5,000 load. Then you get a guy that has 10-15 feet of room in the back of his dry van, he will dang sure grab another $1000 for the taking. Freight is a consumers market but sucks for the trucker. However truckers shoot themselves in the foot all the time, doing cheap backhauls. Once I make the deal and can get a shipping quote from the dealers I will know what I can pay. That's another issue, the big dealers that ship all the time get reduced rates over someone needing it only once in a while.

Nick

NIsaacs , Mar 11, 2017
  5. GAmes TDR MEMBER

The trick is finding someone who is already hauling something from eastern PA to OH and then to the middle of AZ, far from the interstate travel lanes. I wish you luck, but I don't think you'll get it done for a couple grand.

GAmes , Mar 11, 2017
  6. Killer223

he could meet on i40, maybe and park on at walmart in holbrook, then make another trip for the second. a hauler might do that...

Killer223 , Mar 11, 2017
  7. NIsaacs

My original intent was to go pick them up myself. If I did, the equipment sale would be considered local and I would have to pay the sales tax, but if it were shipped out on common carrier no sales tax. So if my out of pocket expense was $1000 for tax and $1000 for fuel I have $2000 to work with. I figured time, wear and tear and rooms I could charge to a vacation.

I have one quote for shipping, still waiting on one. So far it is not looking good for a hotshot:mad:, the one rate was stupid cheap:eek: but good for me.

Nick

NIsaacs , Mar 12, 2017
  8. CTaylor

I will say this having used the likes of uship and veritread many times with so so to straight miserable results, now that I have a truck of my own capable of hauling whatever I buy, I will never use a brokerage service or outside truckline again. The best possible experience is for a small time hot shot guy that will stay in touch and most importantly do what he says he will do timeline wise and not complain about everything, but you obviously will have to pay more because he cant compete with the mega carriers getting their cheap load from brokers. Trust me when I say pretty much all those guys suck.

I decided after this last time to not let myself be traumatized by those experiences anymore and just move my own load next time

CTaylor , Mar 12, 2017
    Tuesdak and MMeier like this.
  9. NIsaacs

Cancel this, thanks.

Nick

NIsaacs , Mar 16, 2017
  10. EDankievitch TDR MEMBER

Last year I needed a boat and trailer shipped to Ny from Kansas I was told of U Ship.com by a boat hauler that had quoted me a really high ($4800) price. I went on the U ship site filled out the shipping request and with in two days I had over a dozen bids. I didn't go with the cheapest bid as I wanted everything flat bedded not brought back on it's own wheels. Shipping cost me $1000 with insurance. I had insured the boat for twice what I paid for it just incase. Everything went smoothly. pick up and delivery were on time. It all worked out as the trucker had a huge load to pick up in Ct just a short ferry ride from me for his return. Next time you need something moved give the U Ship.com site a try. They are not all like those clown you see on the Tv. Most of the time the truck has already been paid for chartered, but is running empty to get to that next load. Why not take advantage of that empty truck?

EDankievitch , Mar 17, 2017
  11. NIsaacs

I need to check them out, I have heard of them but never really looked. The Tub Grinder in PA didn't work out so I looked at one in Colorado, that was even a worse experience so now I am looking at one in Kansas. I am confident enough in the dealer to take my trailer and go see it in person. The shipper gave a $3500 quote for 950 miles for this one. In all fairness, it is a permit load (10' 3" but only 7000 lbs and about 28' long counting the conveyer. If I buy it I am going to use a torch and make it legal, (102") Lol I don't need the flare on the top for my use. I don't want to deal with a permit load for 5 states, especially Arizona.

img  Haybuster II.jpg #ad

Nick

img  Haybuster II.jpg #ad

NIsaacs , Mar 17, 2017
    Tuesdak likes this.
  12. NIsaacs

Looking for transport from Paragould, Arkansas to Snowflake, Arizona. For a 2009 John Deere 4320 tractor/loader, about 5500 lbs. Tractor is about 3800 lbs. and loader 1500? I will pay $2.00 per loaded mile. It looks like about 1270 miles. I should know any day if the sale is a go. Here is a link to some info:

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/001/5/6/1561-john-deere-4320.html

31491965_large.jpg #ad

NIsaacs , Apr 26, 2019
  13. NIsaacs

Cancel this. The dealer found transport.

NIsaacs , Apr 30, 2019
  14. p-Bar

Have them drop it across state lines to save the sales tax

p-Bar , May 5, 2019
    Tuesdak likes this.
  15. JR

Nick got a new toy :cool:

16. NIsaacs

Not sure what you mean. There are several states between Arizona and Arkansas. The way I understand it, is if I haul it, I pay the tax, if it goes out on common carrier, I don't.

NIsaacs , May 6, 2019
  17. NIsaacs

I miss my grader, Lol

NIsaacs , May 6, 2019
    TFucili likes this.
  18. p-Bar

A friend bought a Lance camper from a dealer. Dealer said if they delivered over there Stateline that there would be no sales tsx

p-Bar , May 7, 2019
  19. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

Don't know about a camper, but we have ATV/UTV dealers in surrounding states that use this as a sales pitch. Let's say someone from TN bought an ATV from a dealer just over the line in KY. The dealer doesn't have to charge KY sales tax if they deliver it to TN but the buyer is still on the hook for sales or usage tax here in TN. In the last 10-15 years the states have started communicating these sales and you will get caught. My brother did this and I warned him. About a month after his purchase he got a letter from the state. He ended up paying more buying it the way he did than if he'd bought it from a local dealer.

-Scott

BigPapa , May 7, 2019
    TFucili likes this.
  20. NIsaacs

An ATV is a motor vehicle so it is registered, same goes for a trailer. You pay the tax in your home state. Equipment is different, it is like parts. If I walk in to a Napa store in Utah, I pay tax on anything I buy. But if I order it on line and have it shipped, I don't pay the tax. With the huge on line business that we have now days, some states are up in arms about it and are charging sales tax anyway.

I wear Dickies and order them on line. They are shipped out of Ft. Worth, they charge me 13% tax, makes me mad:D

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    NIsaacs , May 8, 2019