Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RFerguson

I just traded my 02 ctd for an 03 2500. I got an awesome deal on it and it only had 10k miles. For once I didn't feel like I got boned. What a much more pleasant truck to drive than the 02, and much more power. I have questions tho. When you open the hood while it's running you hear a hiss from the drivers side of the engine. Sounds like an air leak. Have looked & felt all over, can't find any. Is this a normal fuel system sound? Also taking off at low rpm (just easing the clutch out or kinda lugging it) it sounds like a gasser with a spark knock. I'm assuming these noises are all related to the different fuel system but thought I'd ask & make sure. I have stuff off the 02 for sale. See classifieds.

Thanks

RFerguson , Feb 1, 2005
  2. Alan Reagan TDR MEMBER

The spark knock sound is normal. More of a pinging like cheap gas in a gasser.

The hiss isn't normal. You need to check all of the pressure hoses from the turbo to the intercooler and then from the intercooler to the intake horn. I believe the torque for the hoses is 72 in/lb. I have it in another thread from when I did my first oil change. All of my hose clamps were loose.

If you are hearing it at idle, that is strange because there isn't that much pressure at idle.

Alan Reagan , Feb 1, 2005
  3. rbattelle TDR MEMBER

The lift pump sounds rather "air leaky", for lack of a better word. You might see if that's what you're hearing.

As for the knock, there's some great threads about it on here. Do a quick search in the 3rd gen forums for "knock" or "knocking".

-Ryan :)

rbattelle , Feb 1, 2005
  4. swexlin

Mine also has this "hiss", and so do other 3rd Gens I have listened too. This was one of the first things I noticed when I got my truck, too. So, I believe it is 'normal".

swexlin , Feb 1, 2005
  5. Spooled-up

I thought my truck had a "knock" too, but it ran great. I took it to the dealer for the cracked alternator bracket, and they found a bad injector. It might not be normal. It wouldn't cost you anything to get it looked at since it's still under warranty.

Spooled-up , Feb 1, 2005
  6. rbattelle TDR MEMBER

A simple test for your "hiss" just occurred to me. Get in the truck and bump the starter but don't start the engine. This will engage the lift pump for 25 seconds. Get out and listen under the hood as the pump runs. Hear the same hiss? If so, there's your answer!

-Ryan :)

rbattelle , Feb 1, 2005
  7. RFerguson

Thanks for the suggestion. I did just that and the hiss is the same. I'm not gonna worry about till the hiss quits then I'll know the lift pump is dead. By the way, I read in a search about a gauge that mesures flow from some tool manufacture. I can't find it now. That would be good to check the pump occasionally if it isn't too pricey. I had a f. p. gauge on my 02 but what a PITA to hook up. I'd rather just check it at oil changes or something. Anyone know about this flow gauge?

RFerguson , Feb 4, 2005