Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkEagleUSA TDR MEMBER

Did an oil/filter change, new fuel filter, and front & rear differentials. air filter should be here mid-week, and I still have the transmission filter and fluid change to do.

Easiest task? Removing the reusable differential gaskets. They’re very well designed, hold up well, and make the job tolerable.

Hardest task? Doing all of the above on a creeper... getting too old for this kind of work. But the feeling of accomplishment was worth a little pain and discomfort. ;)

Only put 3902 miles on the oil’ girl in the past year but don’t like going more than 12 months between changes. Hadn’t done the diff’s since I got her in ‘17 so figured it was time. Fluid looked ok but a little dark. No real debris other than some really fine “dust” on the plug magnet.

Hope to get to the trans filter next weekend.

MarkEagleUSA , Sep 7, 2020
  2. jgillott TDR MEMBER

It seems like we are on the same schedule. I have 3 gal of oil, both the factory and aux fuel filters, oil filter, and air filter in the garage ready to go. Now that the frame issue is behind us for the time being, it is time to move on to other things.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    jgillott , Sep 7, 2020
    MarkEagleUSA likes this.
  3. MarkEagleUSA TDR MEMBER

I actally did a thorough frame inspection while I was under there today and thankfully didn't find any new spots. I bought a cheap replacement rear bumper right after I did those repairs since mine has numerous holes on either side of the license plate. I wanted to get that on this weekend but thought the maintenance for more important. I'll put that on the list for next weekend as well.

MarkEagleUSA , Sep 7, 2020
  4. DavidC

Gonna coat the back side with POR 15, Eastwood, Linex (best probably) ?

DavidC , Sep 7, 2020
    jgillott likes this.
  5. jgillott TDR MEMBER

I am going to be hitting my frame with Fluid Film in a few weeks. I also haven't found anything additional and the guy that did my repairs also checked it out. Hopefully this will buy us a year or two before the next round.

I did my transmission fluid a little over a year ago when I replaced the clutch, flywheel, and rear seal. The last time I changed the oil was when I replaced the oil pan. That was a little over 10K ago.

jgillott , Sep 7, 2020
  6. jgillott TDR MEMBER

Do you suggest doing the Eastwood or POR-15 before the Fluid Film? I don't have much surface rust on the rest of the frame. But, definitely a few places that could be touched up before we hit it with Fluid Film. I just don't want the two products to interfere with each other.

jgillott , Sep 7, 2020
  7. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

They go together fine once the P15 is dry.
    But you have to clean the surface at least with a wire brush before doin P15.

Ozymandias , Sep 7, 2020
    jgillott likes this.
  8. DavidC

I personally would use the Eastwood internal frame coating with the extension hose to get as far in as possible and douche the heck out of it. The Eastwood is a permanent coating then when the time comes use the fluid film if need be. I tend to over do things, kind of like the way they built muscle cars of the 60's early 70's. I do not think POR 15 offers the advantage of the extension hose.

DavidC , Sep 7, 2020
    brucejohnson and jgillott like this.
  9. DavidC

I managed to get some of the Eastwood coating on some paint down by the rocker panel spotwelds and believe me that stuff does not come off, even a waxed surface as I wax everything even the spotwelds amd seams at the bottom of the rockers.

DavidC , Sep 7, 2020
    brucejohnson and jgillott like this.