1. jraker

All,
    Has anyone had experience with the BD Howler turbo set up? Either driven one or installed one on their vehicle. I have an 06 2500 with BBI stage 1 injectors, springs, rods, head studs and a industrial injection bag of parts installed on the CP3. 4" Turboback exhaust, transmission just rebuilt to handle up to 700hp and Smarty Jr. on Level 3. Everything else is stock. I will be upgrading the computer to an MM3 setup now that the transmission is done. Truck has 180k on it. Truck smokes alot right now and I am hoping to clean this up and actually burn more of the fuel. Right now the stock turbo will boost up to 43 psi under hard acceleration, however it does have a small amount of shaft play.

jraker , Mar 8, 2021
  2. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

A little bit of play is normal to the turbo shaft.

Ozymandias , Mar 8, 2021
  3. Tuesdak

Get a better custom tune to clean up the smoke. It's possible to run a very clean tune with BBi stage 1 injectors. None of the SMARTY tunes ran clean for me. You put a big target on your and other diesel owners backs with a smoking truck. Just saying priority #1 should be low-smoke power and it's possible.

Tuesdak , Mar 8, 2021
    Darkbloodmon and promisedland like this.
  4. seafish

Just to clarify, a little bit of radial play (side to side) shaft play is normal and allows for proper lubrication of the journal bearings with an oil film.

That said, axial play (in and out) of the shaft is an indicator of bearing wear or other problems.

seafish , Mar 8, 2021
    Ozymandias likes this.
  5. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

SW3 and BBi’s is a lot of fuel for the stock turbo and I’m not surprised it smokes. That’s even a fair amount of fuel for larger turbos.

FWIW I ran quite a bit lower duration than stock with my BBi Stage 1’s and a bigger than stock turbo. Put 415/850 to the rear wheels on a tow tune... at lower boost than stock too :D

If you get the right tuner the MM3 can make the truck run night and day better.

Id hate to see the drive pressure on a stock turbo at 43 psi with that much fuel.

AH64ID , Mar 8, 2021
    Darkbloodmon and promisedland like this.