Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsffd

After a very expensive front end rebuild, 11/2008, ie ball joints (moog), tie rods, u-joints and a dyna trac freespin kit to fix the "death wobble" the front end is loose again!!! 10k miles... Just added a Carli track bar, that fixed most of the death wobble issues, but the front end still feels like it's made of rubber.

I am ordering all 4 Carli ball joints tommorrow, $800. 00 if you buy the kit. (4).

Has anyone installed all 4, upper and lowers yet? I know the quality is good and feedback is positive on the uppers, but not much info on all 4? Just trying to be sure, before i drop another small fortune on Dodge's design flaw!!:mad: Thanks

jsffd , Mar 11, 2010
  2. ASchwartz

Beware sometimes it's the tires...

ASchwartz , Mar 11, 2010
  3. Slow Six

I did a lot of front end work, Carli uppers, new lowers, DSS, Bilsteins and I run Michelins. death wobble came back so I did the Dodge steering upgrade (tie rods and pitman arm). Death wobble is gone and I love the steering. It is a totally different truck and made the expense worth it.

Slow Six , Mar 11, 2010
  4. CHIRP

I feel your pain! With my truck, the DW just seems to go into remission. Once tires wear out it comes back. A new track bar fixed it once. New bilstein 5100's replaced very old stock shocks and tightened up the front end nicely. The Bilsteins really made a difference. Dual steering dampeners helped keep the front end feeling like it was stuck to the road. I don't think I would have experienced the death wobble trouble I have had in the past had I not bought a lifted truck with 315's. Once any front suspension component starts to fail... death wobble lets me know it. Ball joints are in my near future... they are currently the weak link cause they are stock @ 100,000k

CHIRP , Mar 11, 2010
  5. jsffd

Exactly! My tires are e rated, 2nd pair, but it took 25k miles to start the DW. I'm finding many things can cause the wear and many problems mimic another. Got alot of great info in the last 24hrs. Guess i'm going to start with the BJ and hope that solves it.

jsffd , Mar 12, 2010
  6. Scooby

A good one of those does solve a lot of issues! :-laf

(Sorry - I know... very childish, but you practically opened the door and laid out a welcome mat for that one!)

Scooby , Mar 12, 2010
  7. jsffd

Ha ha too true, this is becoming the most expensive bj in history... I'll post pics!! LOL

jsffd , Mar 13, 2010
  8. bheiting

I will second the Mopar steering upgrade. It's Dodges screwed up front

end geometry that's causing the death wobble. Maybe the media should

get on Chrysler for that one. There is a TSB for the problem, but you

have to destroy your whole front end before they'll fix it.

bheiting , Mar 13, 2010
  9. HOBrian

Just make sure the Mods don't see them or your gonna be in a lot of trouble! :-laf

HOBrian , Mar 15, 2010
  10. pullya

The Mod's may be the least of his worries depending on who is in the picture---:D:D:D

Jay

pullya , Mar 15, 2010
  11. AlaskanCummins

Well, hopefully my Carli lowers and adjustable pan-hard (track) bar will be in on Friday so I can tear into the truck for hopefully the last time. I'm sure I'll be back in there in the future, but I hope it's going to be 150K + miles instead of 30K miles.

Also on the docket is replacing the tie rod/drag link with the updated version along with a new steering stablizer.

I already have Carli uppers, Defiant steering stablizer, Kore Chase suspension (which I think was part of the issues due to not having an adjustable track bar) and newer steering box - replaced under warranty.

Largest tires I've ever had are 285/75/16 on stock rims.

I'm fed up with this front end and I'm crossing my fingers that this will solve my steering/pulling side to side issues.

AlaskanCummins , Mar 16, 2010
  12. DSullivan

I have replaced my whole front end uppers lowers and the works twice now first time at 22,000 second time at 42,000. im told that the moog parts are guaranteed for life and they do have grease fittings unlike dodge original

DSullivan , Apr 14, 2010
  13. Bob4x4

Moogs do not hold up on our 3rd gens... ...

Bob4x4 , Apr 14, 2010
  14. Curious Dave

When I was 19 the lifetime stuff was ok... But nowadays the lifetime doesn't mean squat if you are out there fixing the same thing every couple of weeks.

Curious Dave , Apr 15, 2010
  15. ENafziger

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
    ENafziger , Apr 15, 2010