Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tractortug

I have a stock height 08 2500 QCSB with 45k miles. I have had a steering box brace since new and just replaced the intermediate steering shaft with a Borgeson, the truck also has the 08. 5+ steering and new shocks. The problem I have is a loose clunk feeling in the steering column and pedals when I drive over small bumps at 25-45 mph, above that I don't feel it anymore. I have had the front end looked at by two different shops and they both said everything was fine but I still feel the damn clunk! The tires are rotated religiously and balanced every 5k miles. Could this be from bad sway bar end links? Bad steering box? Any ideas are appreciated, it just feels like something is lookse but nobody can find it. Thanks

Tractortug , Nov 7, 2011
  2. ENafziger

There's quite a bit of info on here about this... and there's even more solutions to the problem.

On my truck, a steering gear box fixed it. On others' trucks, it has been loose lower shock mount bolt, windshield washer fluid sloshing around, track bar bolt, steering shaft, hub bearings, ball joints, tie rods, etc.

--Eric

ENafziger , Nov 7, 2011
  3. Tractortug

Thanks Eric, it's a weird clunk. It doesn't do it when the truck is cold but gets worse as it warms up and I can feel it most when braking. One of my sway bar end links is leaking grease so I got some Maxx Links, I'll throw those on and see what happens.

Tractortug , Nov 7, 2011
  4. Prairie Dog

I'm betting on the end links. I could feel mine were loose through the pedals and steering wheel.

Prairie Dog , Nov 7, 2011
  5. Tractortug

Seems it was the end links, put in the Maxx Links yesterday and noticed an immediate difference. The stock end links had no obvious slop but I guess with all of that weight on them it only takes a little.

Tractortug , Nov 19, 2011