Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MRFost

I need to be able to prove which engine is installed in my truck, to my dealer. It's a 2018 3500 with Aisin 6-speed automatic.

Here's the backstory. I took it in to the dealer last December, for what turned out to be a transmission low fluid level issue. That is its own story. Anyway, dealer sealed the pan leak, refilled, and decided to flash the transmission code as it still had factory transmission code and improved code was available.
    Well, while doing that, I surmise that they *may* have had to update the ECM firmware controlling the engine. Well, when I picked the truck up from the shop, before I had driven it a block down the street, I noticed the ECM software was different. In fact it was so different, it just felt unresponsive. However, around town unloaded, it drives OK. Oh, forgot to mention that this happened in December 2021.

So, fast forward to a month ago, when I was actually towing. I noticed that it shakes pretty badly at high load in the mountains with a decent load in tow. Oh, I am at 98k miles today.

So, some urgency to get this fixed. I have the *High Output* engine (385/930 as I recall), but I cannot find any paperwork that says that is what I have.

I have no idea how I am going to convince the shop manager that they fouled up the flash in my truck.

Anybody have a clue how to demonstrate that this is the HO engine? I know the HO was only available in the pickup 3500.

MRFost , Aug 21, 2022
  2. lpennock

Take the engine serial number to a Cummins dealer and they should be able to pull the engine specs.

lpennock , Aug 21, 2022
    06 Dodge likes this.
  3. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Which side of the motor is the trans dipstick on?

Aisin on the right (says ASRC on it) and 68RFE on the left.

Aisin is also on the trans is plate.

AH64ID , Aug 21, 2022
    lpennock likes this.
  4. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

If you are looking into the engine bay standing in front of the truck. So Aisin DS in drivers side for ASRC and on passengers side for 68RFE!

SnoKing , Aug 21, 2022
    Rob S likes this.
  5. NIsaacs

If a dealer tech can't tell what engine you have after standing right beside it, we probably can't help. I recommend another dealer. There should be an EPA/CPL tag on the block or valve cover.

NIsaacs , Aug 21, 2022
  6. endoscott

Hard to imagine the engine type and probably serial number is not indexed somehow to the truck serial number. You would think a RAM dealer would easily know what to do, especially on such a new truck. I would definitely call another dealer.

endoscott , Aug 21, 2022
    AH64ID and 06 Dodge like this.
  7. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Not many other ways to look at it :D

AH64ID , Aug 21, 2022
  8. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

Here’s his question:
    He thinks they’ve reflashed his ECM as an SO instead of an HO.

BigPapa , Aug 21, 2022
    Bug Out likes this.
  9. monovasia

My truck is badged as HO...I am sure the engine numerics reflect that as well

monovasia , Aug 21, 2022
  10. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

The 2011-2012 HO was different than 13+ HO, and had HO badging. The 11-12 HO applied to all autos, of which the 68RFE was the only auto.

In 2013+ the HO got the Aisin and the SO got the 68RFE, neither of them got any special badging.

AH64ID , Aug 21, 2022
  11. monovasia

Did not know that... thanks

monovasia , Aug 21, 2022
    AH64ID likes this.
  12. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

There is a label on the valve cover that tells you exactly what engine you have.

downloadfile.jpg #ad

Ozymandias , Aug 21, 2022
    Wiredawg likes this.
  13. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

I don't think that is possible, that system is fool proof. You can't flash something onto an ECM that isn't meant for it.

Wiredawg and AH64ID like this.
  14. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

My 18 doesn’t have anything, at least that I’ve seen, with info regarding SO or HO. There isn’t placard about hp like my 05 had. There is a EGR/EGR cover in the way.

AH64ID , Aug 21, 2022
    Wiredawg likes this.
  15. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

On my, that's bad, so no label anymore?

16. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

No, but I’m not sure when they dropped it.

AH64ID , Aug 21, 2022
  17. Mikey-KE7LBB

You can plug your ESN into https://parts.cummins.com/ and look at product information. Here you can get all the info from the data plate. The data plate info doesn't show any torque specs, but it does show horsepower.

If you can't find the sticker with the ESN, you can PM or post your VIN, and I can pull up your ESN for you on QuickServe.

Mikey-KE7LBB , Aug 22, 2022
    Rob S and AH64ID like this.
  18. sag2 TDR MEMBER

Have the dealer print you a Vehicle Health or Scan report. That will list the software PN that it is currently flashed to. Then we might be able to compare to someone that has had their truck flashed and the dealer happened to write the software numbers before/after on the RO.

sag2 , Aug 22, 2022
    Tuesdak, Rob S and AH64ID like this.
  19. GBourne

Window sticker.

If you don't have yours still, ask the sales department to print you one again.

GBourne , Sep 18, 2022
  20. GirchyGirchy

It's still there, on the top rear of the breather cover...but the pickup versions don't contain ratings info any longer. Cab chassis engines do.

The ESN is on that sticker as well as on the 'traceability label' that's on the front side of the breather cover. It should also be on a small sticker on the bottom front of the ECM, along with the original software it was programmed with.

I believe the calibrations are pulled via VIN, so maybe they fat-fingered something?

GirchyGirchy , Sep 27, 2022