1. CThomsen

I'm looking at a 1998 Jayco Eagle 264 Bunkhouse as a first TT for the family.

Anyone have any experience with these? Are these a decently made trailer or not? Current owner pulls it with a F150, says it weighs 5700# wet/loaded. Anything specific to check as I'm new to campers. Thanks

Chris

CThomsen , Jun 19, 2010
  2. cloydmark

Jayco makes a good trailer, but I wood check close for leaks. mine had small leak at tv ant. and ran rafter to back wall behind cabinet, did not find it right away. rubbber roof warranty good for about 12 years. Just traded mine 98 Jayco 263

cloydmark , Jun 19, 2010
  3. HBarlow

I agree. Jayco does make a good product. The founder, Bontrag (now deceased), and his family were/are all Indiana Amish and the company is still family privately owned.

Jayco is not a top of the line trailer, not fancy with lots of frills, but practical and good value for the price. It should make an excellent family starter trailer if priced right and IF it was maintained.

As cloydmark suggested, a stick built trailer that age can be excellent or the framing members and floor, which are wood and plywood, can be rotted fiber. Climb up on a ladder and on the roof and inspect every seam. Also inspect all the window and door frames. When they are neglected in warm climates and the caulking has dried, shrunk, and cracked a trailer used or stored outside will have water intrusion and lots of rot. Also inspect carefully for evidence of water stain on ceilings including cabinet and closet interiors.

I think Jaycos used quality Dexter running gear not Lippert and ChiComm crap.

Your signature indicates you live pretty close to Middlebury, it might be worth paying the owner to tow it to Jayco's service center at Middlebury and have it inspected in their shop. An hour or two of shop labor might cost you $200 and potentially avoid an expensive mistake.

On edit: Pay no attention to the seller's report of what the trailer weighs empty, loaded, or in between. Read the GVWR which is maximum loaded weight off the VIN decal or plate on the front of the left side. Always assume a trailer will weigh very close to GVWR when loaded for travel. Trailers don't weigh empty weight, even brand new and dry the day they leave the factory.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
    HBarlow , Jun 19, 2010
  4. Superdawg TDR MEMBER

I have a 2000 Jayco 28' fifth wheel w/ a 12' slide. You won't win any beauty contests but it appears to be a relatively stout trailer. I upgraded the shackles/hangers w/ heavy duty Dexter hardware. I switched out the 15" wheels to 16" w/ E rated LT tires. One of it's best qualities (IMHO) is it has a one piece aluminum sheet metal roof. Seems to have a longer lifespan than rubber. Noisy in wind and rain though. With any trailer, at least twice a year, inspect the roof seams/penetrations. It's less work than repairing rotten wood and mold damage.

Superdawg , Jun 19, 2010
  5. Superdawg TDR MEMBER

I forgot to add. We bought it used 3 1/2 years ago and we drive the wheels off it.

Superdawg , Jun 19, 2010
  6. CThomsen

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm going to look at it tomorrow. Owner sounded like he maintained it but we'll see. I'm only ~30miles from Middlebury but the trailer is an hour east of me in Ohio but I'll check into taking it to get checked out. Owner is going to upgrade to a Jayco fiver. He's asking $6k with electric jack and sway control hitch, which I think is a bit high. Any thoughts on price if condition is good? Thanks

CThomsen , Jun 19, 2010
  7. HBarlow

I don't know what its worth. That might be a little high but if it is real nice value can be based on what you are willing to pay. The price of older units often depends more on condition than a guide book price.

Oh, just remembered. Crawl under the trailer and read the date code on the tires. Mold date will be molded into the inside sidewall as: DOT "2405" where 2405 would mean the tire was molded during the 24th week of 2005.

There may be additional numbers between the word DOT and the four digit date code. RV tires should never be used beyond five years even if they still have 100% tread and even the mold nipples. Tires that old will blow or loose their tread. If the tires are older than four years plan on a new set of tires this year before any long trips and calculate tire price into purchase price.

HBarlow , Jun 20, 2010
  8. Jrork

We had a 1996 Jayco Eagle for over 10 years and never once had a single problem with it. Never leaked once and was trouble free. When we sold it there were a number of folks wanting to buy it. Fantastic rig.

Jrork , Jun 20, 2010
  9. CThomsen

We looked at it yesterday. Everything looks pretty good for a 12 year old trailer. Book price is under $4K so we're going to keep looking. Thanks.

CThomsen , Jun 21, 2010
  10. Grizzly

Most Jayco Eagle of the 1998 vintage have a good rating of 3 to 3. 5 stars in the RV Consumer Group guide. The 264 Bunkhouse TT however does not. It is rated only 2 stars due to poor Highway Control. The RVCGG suggest that if it's in tip top condition, it may be worth up to $6,688.

Hope this helps, george

Grizzly , Jun 22, 2010
  11. DaveHess TDR MEMBER

I love my Jayco 298BHS!

DaveHess , Jun 23, 2010
  12. softailer

I have recently acquired a 2002 Jayco Eagle 312 bumper pull. We have made one trip from ATL GA to Asheville NC and back. It pulled well with no issues noted. I hope we made a good choice???

softailer , Jan 14, 2013
  13. Partyat33

My 1997 314 BHS has been excellent !!!

Partyat33 , Jan 14, 2013
  14. HBarlow

Jaycos are good products. They are not top of the line luxury items as you know but are well built and one of the better trailers in their price range.

An Amish man named Bontrager founded the company many years ago. He was a supervisor in a plant building pop up campers at the time and had a better design for the raising and lowering mechanisim. He built one in his barn and it sold quickly and before long he was building and selling so many he quit his job and Jayco was born. Jayco is still an Amish family owned business and most of their production employees are Amish. Jayco is now one of the older RV companies in the industry and is the only one that is privately owned and owned by the founder's family.

Look up the history on their website.

HBarlow , Jan 14, 2013
  15. jelag

My daughter and SIL purchased one that was owned by a local farmer who kept it stored in the barn... they moved it into their barn when not in use... Theirs is a couple of years older but they love it... I don't think the trailer has seen 5000 miles on the road... but gets its share of time at the beach at least 3 times a year. . they love it... and I'm sure its 750 lbs overloaded knowing my loving daughter...

They have had to upgrade the tires after weather checks were found in the side wall, not yet down to the cord but made them worried...

Just my thoughts here. .

jelag , Jan 14, 2013