Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crabman

Wiring up the backup lights in my new bumper using the schematic in this thread. https://www.turbodieselregister.com/f... =light+reverse

I just need to find the wire for the existing reverse lights. The wiring schematic for my truck shows C8 in the TIPM, which is LT gray 12 way and the wire is in cavity #11(backup Lamp feed). My TIPM isn't numbered but has letters, a, b, c, etc. The wire color for the backup lamp feed is WT/LG (white w/light green tracer) Herein lies the problem, there is no WT/LG wire in a light gray 12 way connector. See attached photos.

photo 1.jpg #ad
    photo 2.jpg #ad

photo 1.jpg #ad

photo 2.jpg #ad

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2018
    crabman , Sep 24, 2013
  2. p-Bar

Why don't you tap in at the rear where your taillights?&src=tdr">tail lights are . But if you are installing some high current lights you may want to use a relay and run a large gauge wire with inline fuse from battery.

p-Bar , Sep 24, 2013
  3. dresslered

What about tapping into the trailer hitch connector? I personally had to beef up my wiring beyond this, but for most, this should be adequate. Crabman, if you bring by those live crabs again, I'm sure we could light up your rear end.

dresslered , Sep 24, 2013
  4. crabman

Clicking on the link that I provided & go to #25 shows the schematic that I am following. The lights are LED & only draw 0. 395 amps total, but I am still putting in a relay in the engine compartment. Relays cost $7 & a TIPM cost $450, so why take a chance. I would rather find the correct wire in the engine compartment for the following reasons: #1 To keep the connection out of the elements, even tho I am using weather resistant connectors, #2 Keep the amount of wires & the run to a minimum.

crabman , Sep 25, 2013
  5. crabman

Sorry for the bad URL link, I didn't know it. https://www.turbodieselregister.com/forums/showthread.php?173498-Let-there-be-light!-In-reverse! Just in case this one doesn't link, the post date was 12/23/06 by member Allnew2Me.
    The project is done. I took out the rear light assembly and to verified the correct wire color for the b/u lights. Found the correct wire in the back of the TIPM by turning ignition to On. Putting gear selector into reverse and checking for power that came on and off with the gear selector. Then it was just a matter of connecting wires up to the relay.
    Thanks to RJOL's post with the wiring schematic.

crabman , Sep 28, 2013