1. Tractorat

I wonder if anyone has had this problem. And if so, did they find a solution.
    I store the drain hose for my TT in the rear bumper where it is supposed to go. The last couple years, after driving quite a ways, I will find it has moved down toward the other end. I ended up making a hook I could reach in with and just pull it out. Yesterday, I found the hose was stuck. I guess the plastic end piece had expanded with the heat and was stuck. Luckily, It was close enough for me to reach my arm in and wiggle it out.
    So, my question is, for anyone with the problem, have you been able to find a way to keep it from sliding down further in the tube so you can just reach in and grab it like you are supposed to.

Tractorat , Aug 16, 2019
  2. TFucili

Can you make a spacer out of PVC that will slide into the bumper and take up the slack space?

TFucili , Aug 16, 2019
    Focker likes this.
  3. PBJ2500CTD

And here I thought it only happens to me! :D What hose are you using? I bought the RhinoFLEX hose. Any hose that extends and holds its length will work well. You can extend it and it won't collapse and hide at the end of the deep tunnel. I actually have two hoses; a long one and a short one, just for those locations where you need a longer one, or where a shorter one fits better. Collapsed, they fit easily in the bumper tube, but I still have to extend one of them a bit to keep them within reach. And, they are a lot easier to manage than the wet noodle hoses.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    PBJ2500CTD , Aug 16, 2019
  4. KATOOM

What I've found having various RV's/trailers of my own...and messing with family's RV stuff, is there is no "supposed to". The RV industry is comical at best in its level of quality and craftsmanship and what they crank out to the oblivious consumer. Not just the cheap stuff either as I've been in hundreds of thousand dollar motorhomes and seen some things I cant believe is even acceptable.

So point is about your sewer hose, the size of the bumper is the size of the bumper. If you can fit your hose in there then great. If you need a longer hose and it fits then great. But just be happy it fits in there because guaranteed that the manufacture didnt build that bumper and hose to "fit like its supposed to".

KATOOM , Aug 16, 2019
  5. Tractorat

I hadnt thought of that. Great idea. Im gonna give it a try. Should work perfectly.
    Probably not a rhinoflex. But Ill watch out for one and maybe try that too.
    I meant that part sarcastically. But, speaking of that, Im in the southwest right now, and the heat may be part of this problem. But when I tried to get the hose out of the bumper the other day, the plastic connector (dont know the proper nomenclature) was jammed in the bumper and was a real bear to wiggle out.

Tractorat , Aug 16, 2019
  6. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

The bumpers rust on the inside and that helps capture the hose bayonet fittings that tend to get stuck in the bumper. Pulling uneven on just one bayonet makes the problem worst.

Out 5th wheel has one of these which works great. You little trailer have the rear bumper tube which is not as good.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    SnoKing , Aug 16, 2019
  7. KATOOM

I wasnt picking on you but rather showing my distaste for the industry standard. Example, my current 5th wheel has a separate 50 amp cord that you have to connect to the trailer when you plug it in the camp shore power. The "supposed to" part is I have to heave this heavy thing around looking for a place to shove it when we're not hooked up. Good thinking on the RV company's part... :rolleyes:

KATOOM , Aug 16, 2019
    TFucili and DavidC like this.
  8. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

I have been thinking about removing the 50amp power reel from our now parked 5th whee(summe home)l, and figure out how to install it on our little Laredo bumper pull, that has this "python" 50 amp 35" cable. When traveling with the Bighorn 5th wheel, the power reel was great, only one end of the cable to deal with!!!

SnoKing , Aug 17, 2019
  9. KATOOM

Thats not a half bad idea... Depending on the size of the reel it would take to house the massive cable girth, I may be able to mount it somewhere more reasonable than tossing it on top of random camp items.

KATOOM , Aug 17, 2019
  10. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

On the Bighorn it is mounted in the rear drivers side J panel. It needs a 12V power source to power the reel motor. All I had to do was touch the release direction on the button and it pulled up nicely. To stow the cable you pulled the plug end out of the pedestal and made a big loop straight out from the loop, hold the retrieve button and glide it to wind in evenly. It has four brushes internally to carry the four wire 50amp circuit.

SnoKing , Aug 17, 2019
  11. TFucili

And it takes care to coil it up without chewing up the jacket.

TFucili , Aug 17, 2019
  12. DavidC

Coiling it up in cold weather is an experience all by itself.

DavidC , Aug 17, 2019
    KATOOM and TFucili like this.
  13. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

I tend to put mine in the back seat with the seat up and platform folded out when traveling day to day. Much easier that getting into the smallish front pass through at the front of the bumper pull trailer. For some reason Laredo though a small 22.5MK model with a single AC needed 50amp power. Up side is wife try as she may, can not trip a breaker like she routinely could with out past 30amp rigs.

If the site only has 30amp power I put the 50 to 30 adapter on the trailer's power inlet and use the 30amp 25' cable I carry if it will reach the power pole. I probably have over 100 pounds of cables and adapters, as the trailer has a twist lock inlet and the adapter for that to 30amps. Then I have 50amp female to 30amp male adapter, 30amp cable, 30 to 15 and 15 to 30 on and on.

SnoKing , Aug 17, 2019
  14. DavidC

I have a Rhino hose and the bayonet fittings are so tight I would not even try to put it in the bumper. Those metal bumpers just tear up hoses vibrating down the road. The Rhino comes with end caps so I flush the hose compress it to the storage mode, install the end caps and put it in a storage compartment. Been looking at getting one of these and bolting to the frame tho.
    [​IMG]#ad

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Valterra-50-to-94-RV-Sewer-Hose-Carrier-Black-p/10-1480.htm

DavidC , Aug 17, 2019
    PBJ2500CTD and Wiredawg like this.
  15. TFucili

The Rhino hose doesn't even fit in some of those carriers. I had to file the fittings down so mine would fit. Somebody makes a super-sized carrier(can't remember who),naturally I found it after I had installed the Valterra.

TFucili , Aug 17, 2019
    DavidC likes this.
  16. DavidC

Good to know. Guess I will go back to my original thought. Go to home Depot, buy the appropriate size pvc pipe, 2 female adapters, 2 male end caps and 2 appropriate hangars.

DavidC , Aug 17, 2019
  17. TFucili

TFucili , Aug 17, 2019
    algonaman and DavidC like this.
  18. jgillott TDR MEMBER

Interesting discussion. 2 10' sections of RhinoFlex fit perfectly end to end in my bumper. 20190817_105354.jpg #ad
    20190817_105339.jpg #ad

jgillott , Aug 17, 2019
    PBJ2500CTD likes this.
  19. DavidC

Speaking of Rhino hoses. I had the all brown hose and while in Az. it would seep this gooey oily mess. I had to use a very strong all purpose cleaner and a lot of paper towels on every stand of the hose support to get that gooey mess off. I sent Camco a picture and explanation and they sent me 6 complete 20' kits. Now in Minot I have the new one which is orange and brown. It is doing the same exact thing on the brown parts. It is emulsifying some kind of goo also. I never had this problem with any other hose I ever used.

DavidC , Aug 17, 2019
  20. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

Our Bighorn 5th wheel came with one of these. I am thinking about trying to move it to the Laredo along with the power cord powered reel, given that the Bighorn is roofed and staying full time in our Northern summer park.

SnoKing , Aug 17, 2019