Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brillmtb

Is the DEF quality from gas station pumps good enough vs buying the 2.5 gallon jugs in a auto parts store. I think I have one where the def is 2.75/gallon which is about half the cost of some store bought jugs.

brillmtb , Aug 26, 2019
  2. kthaxton TDR MEMBER

Yes, it is fine, they are both fine.

kthaxton , Aug 26, 2019
    Ozymandias and Larry Sciblo like this.
  3. dieselshadow

I prefer the truck stop method myself. Why bother with a jug when you can just use a nozzle? No need to have any refuse left over and you get the perfect amount every time. And it’s fresh.

dieselshadow , Aug 26, 2019
    Ozymandias, HPSimpson and AH64ID like this.
  4. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Truck Stop fine but a “Gas Station” no.

Cummins12V98 , Aug 26, 2019
    1968rt, Ozymandias and Wayne M. like this.
  5. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

I just wait for the gauge to hit 1/2 tank and drop by a WM and put a 2.5 jug of Peak Blue DEF in. Puts it back at full range, and I am good for 600-800 miles towing or a couple thousand not tow. WM recycles the box for me, if I just leave it in the cart. I learn "finally" to put the nozzle in the blue hole with the nozzle on the high side of the box, NO drips that way. Have the nozzle on the low side and the quacker drips. SnoKing

SnoKing , Aug 26, 2019
  6. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

I plan to only use nozzle DEF.

I don’t see the point in wasting my time and money with DEF in a box.

AH64ID , Aug 26, 2019
  7. TFucili

No local source in the pump, so I will use both box and pump.

TFucili , Aug 26, 2019
    1968rt, Ozymandias and AH64ID like this.
  8. HPSimpson TDR MEMBER

I really like goimg to truck stops for my def, could never figure out the box code so stop buying the box.

HPSimpson , Aug 27, 2019
    Ozymandias likes this.
  9. Wayne M.

Either way, if you suspect anything, or just want to spot check, I suggest you throw one of these under the back seat.
    https://www.otctools.com/products/otc-def-refractometer
    Very easy to use. It won’t check for oil contamination (not a issue with store bought) but will check concentration (very real issue regardless of source).

Wayne M. , Aug 27, 2019
    TFucili likes this.
  10. TFucili

The Supertech/Wally World stuff has an actual, legible date on it. No secret decoder ring, or enigma machine required. At least what I saw locally.

TFucili , Aug 27, 2019
    gsbrockman likes this.
  11. DavidC

I have been using that to check my antifreeze for years. A very handy tool.

DavidC , Aug 27, 2019
  12. Wayne M.

I have both. Put some DEF on your coolant one, if it’s graded for specific gravity, it should be right at 1310. That’ll be 32.5%.

Wayne M. , Aug 27, 2019
  13. DavidC

Without pulling it out and looking at the paperwork to see what all it measures I know it's antifreeze and lead acid batteries. Never could bring myself to do batteries as it just does not seem right to put acid on a tool intentionally. :D

DavidC , Aug 27, 2019
    TFucili likes this.
  14. TFucili

It's like using a pressure gauge on a calcium filled tire. Destruction is inevitable.

TFucili , Aug 27, 2019
    PBJ2500CTD, NIsaacs and DavidC like this.
  15. Wayne M.

Wayne M. , Aug 27, 2019
  16. Wayne M.

The idea is to measure the specific gravity of the electrolyte. Just a drop on the lens, and cleaning up with quick wipe with a wet paper towel when you’re done will go far in protecting the tool, but who checks battery water any more?

Wayne M. , Aug 27, 2019
    PBJ2500CTD likes this.
  17. DavidC

I do all the time, check levels monthly. I have a temp adjusted battery hydrometer same as I used in the USAF to test.

DavidC , Aug 27, 2019
  18. Steves191145

I wait til im at about 1/4 tank def then fill it at the pump. The station 2 miles from the farm caters to large trucks and goes through a lot of diesel and def. I put about 3500 miles a month on my truck so I fill it roughly every 3 months. Hopefully santa brings me a delete kit and I wont have to do that anymore.

Steves191145 , Aug 30, 2019
  19. Mark Lyons

Until now, I've always bought from gas stations thinking that the DEF was more fresh. Over the labor day weekend, I stopped for DEF and right after got a Service DEF warning. Pulled the code when I got home and it was a reductant quality error code. I think it was P207F. Drained the DEF and refilled with new from a box (approx 2 months old based on the date code). Error code cleared and now the truck is fine.

Never getting it from a truck stop again.

Mark Lyons , Sep 3, 2019
    Wayne M. likes this.
  20. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

What year is your truck?

AH64ID , Sep 3, 2019