Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tjm

Thought I would post a pic of how I torqued my hub extenders down

start by installing the lug nuts back on the hub extender then use a pry bar and a platform to hold the wheel in place

Hold Tight.jpg #ad

Then a crow's foot and torque wrench to torque the nut to 95 ft lbs. I did 100.

Torque.jpg #ad

tjm , Dec 4, 2022
    Darkbloodmon, Ozymandias and Yo Hoot like this.
  2. Yo Hoot TDR MEMBER

The added length of the center of the wrench head to the center of the bolt head does increase leverage which means a 100 lb reading might be slightly higher in actuality. Prob insignificant here. Looks good.

Yo Hoot , Dec 4, 2022
  3. tjm

You got me thinking that the boffins at dodge probably know this and that this seems like the only way to torque the nuts without a special tool. so setting at 95 plus the additional torque due to what you describe is probably spot on.

Thanks for the comments @Yo Hoot

tjm , Dec 4, 2022
    Yo Hoot likes this.
  4. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Any reason you don't put it in 4wd and not have to deal with the crowbar?

As mentioned you are torqueing more than the 95 lb/ft prescribed by using the crows foot that way. I highly doubt Dodge took that into account when creating the FSM.

AH64ID , Dec 4, 2022
  5. tjm

Yeah John. When in 4L with the engine off the wheel still turned. I suspect I needed to put it in drive to engage the transfer case? Dont really know. I do know 4WD works as the vehicle crabs when turning in 4L or 4h

tjm , Dec 4, 2022
  6. Yo Hoot TDR MEMBER

If the opposite tire is on the ground, 4wd should work at holding your side.

Yo Hoot , Dec 4, 2022
  7. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

4Lo increases the torque multiplication, try 4Hi next time and set the parking brake. You will have to have the other 3 tires on the ground thou.

AH64ID , Dec 4, 2022
  8. tjm

yeah i was rotating my tires so all wheels off the ground.

Thanks Guys!

tjm , Dec 4, 2022
    Cumminsboy77 likes this.
  9. Timd32 TDR MEMBER

Timd32 , Dec 8, 2022
    User113, jghflys, tjm and 1 other person like this.