Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCasper TDR MEMBER

I just picked up another set of dodge wheels and put my Michelins back on my truck. I am planning on running these during the summer. Is there anything in particular I should do when storing my other tires and wheels. I was just going to stack them up in my garage on top of one another. What kind of pressure should I leave in them. They are 33" Pro Comps. Thanks, Joe

JCasper , Jun 15, 2005
  2. Grizzly

Air pressure does not matter. Keep them cool and dry, away from any direst sunlight. Keep them off concrete floors. A wood pellet would be good. If you stack them, put wood lath between them to keep them dry :)

Grizzly , Jun 16, 2005
  3. RAMINSPEED

Do what Grizzly said except I've heard that you should drop the air pressure down low (5-10 psi). I have also hear you should not stack them flat, why, I don't know. I stack mine flat. Be cautious of Ozone that is created by electric motors near by, it will help deteriorate the rubber faster. I would also recommend cleaning them prior to storing.

RAMINSPEED , Jun 16, 2005
  4. ROCKJEEP

If you have the means to do it I would make a stand. I would make it so it would hold the tires horizontal. Mounting them by the hub. This way the tires don't have any pressure on them. I would also drop the PSI to around 20. Lots of work , but if you do this alot its worth the investment.

Kory

ROCKJEEP , Jun 16, 2005
  5. Grizzly

I am not convinced that I would drop the air pressure below 50 psi. Reason being is that you could loose the seal at the bead, then you would have to break down the tire from the rim to reseal it. Grizzly :)

Grizzly , Jun 18, 2005
  6. JHardwick

Tires are gonna age harden no matter what. Hardening produces less traction and ultimately cracking.

Some have suggested some very good ideas to prolong that shelf life, and for street purposes, you'll probably never know as long as your not talking years.

I can tell you that with a durometer gage tires will get harder just over a winter ... ... ... ... . even if you store them in your bedroom sealed in a plastic bag :-laf

In the spring time, your a fool to buy a new racing tire without a durometer gage ... ..... dealers have to offload last years stock to someone :-laf

JHardwick , Jun 18, 2005