Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavidC

DavidC , Nov 24, 2013
  2. jgillott TDR MEMBER

Interesting find. Thanks. That may be useful for someone wanting to really clean up a vehicle once in a while.

Sadly, around here, we will be dealing with salt covered roads now until mid april or so. It really takes its toll on any untreated vehicle parts. All of my new vehicles leave the dealer lot and go directly to Ziebart for the full on rust protection package. It's the only way to make anything survive more than a few years.

jgillott , Nov 24, 2013
  3. DavidC

I lived long enough (22 tears) on the East coast and know the damage that occurs. Every time I saw paint bubbling I would cringe knowing what was coming. Eastwood has a lot of rust treatment these days. Anything I come across that may help you guys from the agonizing rust death I will pass on.

Dave

DavidC , Nov 24, 2013
  4. jgillott TDR MEMBER

I parked beside a late model F150 at the grocery store the other day ~2010 or so. Both rear wheel arches completely gone. The salt brine has been the real game changer I'm guessing. It is much worse than it used to be with strait salt.

jgillott , Nov 24, 2013
  5. DavidC

Bet Pa. State Inspection has a hay day with things like that. Last I was there was 1972 and they were saying if the body has holes it would fail State Inspection, is that still true ?.

Dave

DavidC , Nov 24, 2013
  6. jgillott TDR MEMBER

Yes, it is still the same. Any obvious holes will be a failure if you are at a shop that follows the rules. You will see lots of creative use of tin, bondo, and even duct tape at times.

A friend of mine from work just sold off his wife's 2006 Nissan Altima. Floor pans rotted through 2 years ago and he had to dump a couple of grand in it to pass inspection. They were starting to go through again and he just got rid of it instead of dealing with it for inspection.

jgillott , Nov 24, 2013
  7. DavidC

Thanks for the update. Pa. helps create the holes with brine and the Pa. resident pays in the end.

Dave

DavidC , Nov 24, 2013
  8. jgillott TDR MEMBER

It's not just here now. Most of the North East uses the same stuff. You should see what the roads look like by spring.

jgillott , Nov 24, 2013
  9. JR

I was on the roads at 5am this morning, the salt trucks were out in full force last night (barely got a dusting :rolleyes:). By the time 5am rolled around it had all dried and turned to dust. A car came up behind me and hovered on my bumper for a mile or two before finally wising up and dropping back. the dust was so friggin thick I could barely see his headlights. I guarantee I put a nice thick coat all over that car, not to mention packed it in his radiator and likely sucked a bunch up into his air filter. The calcium chloride and the beet juice are even worse corrosive wise. I've always been anal with anything I've cared about and undercoated with Fluid Film or something similar. This year I tried something different and trailered the wifes Mountaineer up to Erie and had them treat it and my truck with Krown. I'm pretty impressed with the amount of coverage they literally get into all the nooks and crannies underneath not to mention door jambs, rocker area, under the hood, etc. They even sprayed the inside of my wheels and washed both vehicles down after they were finished. Definitely more thorough than I was doing myself and for an extra 100 bucks I think Ill be glad to let someone else do it every year. The thing that attracted me to the Krown was it is an oil base so any areas that may have a little scale are treated so they don't continue to rust. I grabbed ahold of my rear abs plug the other day and it came right apart after soaking in that stuff all week so I think it's got alot of advantages. Time will tell how well it protects.

There was a big article a month or so ago about how our districts road crew has had to increase their budget consistently over the last several years to deal with repairs to their plow/salt equipment. They brought in a brand new tow plow 3 or 4 years ago, spent BIG money on this piece of equipment. They had to completely strip it down over the summer and replace various brake, air, and hydraulic lines, cylinders, and a few other items I cant recall. It's pretty bad when a 200k+ dollar piece of equipment that was designed to be in this environment can't hang....

10. DavidC

Sorry guy's, but I am glad I'm not there. My 99 looks better today than the day it rolled off the Dealers lot. last time I was in Pa., around 2001, the potholes that were there in 1972 were still there, same place, same dimensions. Crazy.

Dave

DavidC , Nov 24, 2013
  11. S.Morris

I have been using Krown annually up here on everything I own for the last 15yrs and before that when it was Rust Check.(they were partners and split..........how Krown came to be).
    I have a 01 Corolla with 300K miles that is rust free and been driven everywinter . I use it as much for the body protection as the electrical connection, brakelines etc protection over the long haul.
    Since they started using the brine solution ( I am told it is 10 times stronger in corrosive ability)some friends are even doing the under body in beginning of winter and again in spring at the end.
    It adds up over the years but has well proven its worth versus the alternative. I have noticed a seemingly much more apparent rusting of fairly new vehicles in Upper NY state as well compared to years past. This brine stuff is nasty nasty.

S.Morris , Nov 24, 2013
  12. jgillott TDR MEMBER

JR,

We got maybe an inch or so between yesterday afternon and this morning. Our roads look the same. In fact, the road up to our house here has the salt on it so thick that it looks like loose gravel in spots. If the wife gets home with the 1/2 ton before dark, I'll go out and take a picture of it. We had it out last evening and it is covered top to bottom in brine and salt. The white outside is stained a dull red/grey and it is snow white underneath. I don't claim to be an expert in anything anymore, but it looks like they put down enough material last night to treat a foot of snow. Seems way too excessive for the little bit we got last night. Heck, my brother-in-law didn't even consider putting the spreader on the '04 to do their driveway last night. By January, they will be complaining on the news how they are short on material and are out of budget for the season.

jgillott , Nov 24, 2013
  13. JR

SMorris, I believe you are the one that pointed me in the direction of Krown. I started a post when I bought the Mountaineer this spring for the wife and I believe you were the one that mentioned it. I ultimately chose it over Zeibart because I like the fact that it soaks into everything rather than cover it. Especially in the case of my truck that had zero treatment for the first 11 years of its life (it was not previously in salted areas either) I think that was important.

14. jgillott TDR MEMBER

Come on back, they are still there. Only, maybe a little bigger.

jgillott , Nov 24, 2013
  15. jgillott TDR MEMBER

I would be very interested in the Krown product if they had a dealer anywhere near here. The only option we have left is Ziebart and at that I have to drive in to Pittsburgh to have it done. We used to have a dealer only about 20 min from here, but they closed about 7 or 8 years ago.

jgillott , Nov 24, 2013
  16. DavidC

Ha, I wouldn't doubt it.

Dave

DavidC , Nov 24, 2013
  17. mwilson TDR MEMBER

Oh Yea,

Some sympathetic varmint in rust-free Arizona givin' us rust prevention tips........:-laf

I got words for guys like you......

Seriously, if the grand kids had not come along so fast I would be right out there with you searching up chemicals to combat the Weasel Snot onslaught and posting them on here, although I might have a smirk on my face whilst doing so......

My mother is at her winter home in Mesa and I will receive a glowing review of the day's weather when she calls tonight, last Sunday it was 85 degrees and she did 18 holes in the afternoon........;)

20 degrees here and the wind is blowing a steady 25-30mph with gusts to 45.

Hooking up a new flat screen in the den so I can hole up in there when the weather really starts to suck.

Mike.

mwilson , Nov 24, 2013
  18. jgillott TDR MEMBER

Lucky....how did you hit 20 today? We are stuck around 17. I guess we could go play golf if you didn't mind the ball shattering off the tee.

They just issued a winter storm watch for us Tuesday in to Wednesday. Guess more salt on the way for our trucks.

jgillott , Nov 24, 2013
  19. DavidC

Varmint here :)
    Been raining for 3 Days. Highs in the 50's. Now about those rusted rocker panels :rolleyes:

Dave

DavidC , Nov 24, 2013
  20. DavidC

When you get the storm that just went thru here ( I am sure you will) everyone can hunker down. It lasted 3 days here. No ice or snow :-laf
    Do they sell black golf balls back there ?.
    Dave

DavidC , Nov 24, 2013