Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIGNASTY

BIGNASTY , Sep 19, 2017
  2. jgillott TDR MEMBER

Very similar to Krown rust proofing products, which are highly regarded in the industry. I personally use Ziebart since it is the only provider in our area. Their products are a little more tar like than oil, but do the same thing. I've had good luck with rust proofing products on my vehicles and I highly recommend having it done.

Here is a pic of the frame on my 07 using Ziebart yearly since new.

20170612_123846.jpg #ad

20170612_123835.jpg #ad

20170612_123846.jpg #ad

20170612_123835.jpg #ad

jgillott , Sep 19, 2017
  3. BIGNASTY

Forgive me for ignorance of the Ziebart process. I first heard about it when in the Air Farce in Caribou ME.
    As I understand the process its REPAIRED yearly, road debris causing chips in the Ziebart coating. I wonder about the yearly process recoating the damaged area and trapping the rust causing it to continue to rust under the repair (I assume that Ziebarts answer would be that there is no air to cause rust.) thanks for the come back.

BIGNASTY , Sep 19, 2017
  4. jgillott TDR MEMBER

Absolutely correct. It is reapplied yearly to cover any damaged areas. With that said, those areas are minimal and I have never personally had any rust growth under the applied material.

jgillott , Sep 19, 2017
  5. RUSSELL5000

A couple of questions regarding Ziebart: (1) Is it effective with a used vehicle (concrete example is my 2012 truck), and (2) what is the rough range of cost?

Thanks!

RUSSELL5000 , Sep 19, 2017
  6. jgillott TDR MEMBER

1) I have only had Ziebart do one used vehicle, which was my 1992 Ram that I purchased with 26K on it. I had it done when I got it and it was starting to show some rust when I sold it to buy my 2001 in July of 2000. I think that it had been in enough salt that it was going to rust no matter what I did to it when I got it.

All of my new vehicles since have gone directly from the dealer to Ziebart before I ever drive them. I've had no issue since.

2) I think I pad approx $550 for each truck to be done new. It is $39 each year for the annual updates.

jgillott , Sep 19, 2017
  7. MichaelOverfield

I've had excellent success using a product called POR-15. It is great stuff. It's only weakness is it is not good for sunlight/UV, but under a vehicle, it's perfect. It goes on rusty metal, just remove the loose flakes, and ensure it's clean, no oil.. it chemically bonds to the surface.. read more about it on their website: http://www.por15.com/

MichaelOverfield , Sep 19, 2017
  8. JR

That stuff looks pretty good BIG. I like the way it wicks into the steel. I used Fluid Film for a few years but was never very impressed with the coverage in hard to get to areas. I Might have to give it a try, I've been using KROWN the last few years but I'd like to try something on my own.

Russell, if your interested there is a KROWN dealer right in Erie. I've used them the last few years. Seen some of their Line X projects. Seems like a legit shop that takes pride in their work.

http://www.linex.com/us/line-x-of-erie-f0182/about

9. BIGNASTY

JR thats the thing that I thought was pretty cool about this stuff. The guy that told me about this had used it from day one on his daily driver pickup. he said that they applied it inside the frame-rails and hard to reach places with a extension hose for complete coverage, even the wiring and electrical connections are protected. They drill small access holes in the doors and spray inside the doors and other such places then cap them with a plug. It does have some wicking action to spread and cover everything.
    the Closest place to indy where we're at now is in Ohio 190 miles away, will need to make a weekend out of it and see the sights.

BIGNASTY , Sep 20, 2017
  10. Jim W TDR MEMBER

I use a product from Eastwood, they are on line and have some stores in the larger cities. My brother-in-law is in the auto repair business and has recommended this company. They have several different products to fight rust on auto's. I have personally used a rust encapsulator that is color match to some paints and black is offered.

Jim W , Sep 20, 2017