Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FredFarndon

My 2004 (HO) Dodge 3500 dually is still pulling my trailer very well and just turned the 300000 mile mark...love this truck. Like to keep it for another 100000 but the truck seat is an issue on long hauls.
    So has anyone tried swapping the passenger front seat with the driver front seat ? Or, can a latter model Dually seat from a wrecking yard donor be a possible replacement. Thanks.

FredFarndon , Jul 25, 2020
  2. seafish

seafish , Jul 25, 2020
  3. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

You could also just replace the foam cushion on the drivers seat. They are cheap and Genos sells them.

Ozymandias , Jul 25, 2020
  4. Buffalo

I have an '03, 3500, 4X4 QC, which, I bought new. Quite a few years ago, I went for a ride and got about 50 miles from home (a bit over 1 hours drive) and my right leg above the knee started aching and it felt like I was losing blood flow to the muscle on the back of my thigh. I pulled over and almost fell out of the truck as my leg felt like it went to sleep. I was really worried as I was getting older and thought that I may be falling apart, physically. When I got back home, I got on the TDR and there was a guy in eastern IN. that had a similar problem and told me what it most likely was. Basically, underneath the foam in the seats is a wire meshwork called a ladder and that is what supports the foam. The "ten cent foam" that Dodge used in my truck would "collapse" over the ladder and eventually you were riding the wires of the ladder & that was the problem. I live in the Phoenix area and found an upholstery warehouse on the east side of town (Tempe area) and went over there, talked to the owner and he asked if he could look under my seat. I agreed and he crawled back out with a diagnosis and said that it would work well for me. He sold me 2 carpet samples and some 12" closed cell foam (similar to what they use on gym floor for tumbling or wrestling but, thinner. He told me to pull the seat out, take the upholstery off the seat area, lift the trucks foam, place the carpet sample with the bottom side on the ladder (that is the burlap side) cut a piece of the closed cell foam and place that on top of the carpet sample, pull the trucks seat foam back into place and put the upholstery back to its original place. Well, that fix worked beautifully!!! I've towed my trailer across the country and spend days on end in the drivers seat with no more problems. Total cost was around $22.00 & I've got enough material to do 2 more seats. I still can't believe that Dodge could build such lousy seats. The must have been building trucks for 100 years and all of them had seats in them. How could they NOT build a comfortable seat with 100 years experience behind them. I'm a dental technician by trade, not a seat maker. And, I fixed mine. I wrote Dodge about my issue and never heard a word back from them. I'm passing on what others on this site told me to do along with the owner of the upholstery warehouse. So, it's not genius on my part but, with some good suggestions, I now have very comfortable seats in the truck. Hope this helps.

Buffalo , Aug 9, 2020
    Timd32 and Ozymandias like this.