Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CumminFast

Where do I get one of these? Are they any good? I am not spending $400 on a spray in liner. I might as well buy the sprayer, compressor, material, and do it myself for that price.

CumminFast , Oct 30, 2002
  2. fkovalski

Any decent auto parts store should be able to get on efor you. I have been only to find it in black. Cost about $100 and is holding up VERY well. Easy to install too. The instructions are posted on thier website. -fjk

fkovalski , Oct 30, 2002
  3. BV

DIY bed liner

If your talking about Herculiner then you can get it online or in lots of auto parts houses/stores.

If you go this route, I have seen some good jobs and some that didn't turn out well. It looks like you need to be careful about mixing the material up so the chucks don't settle to the bottom and end up all in one place in the bed.

BTW - The spray-in type liners I know of (Arma Coat, LineX) are sprayed in hot and are a special 2 part mixture so the equipment would not be a normal compressor/sprayer setup.

4. athompson

When I researched liners, it was obvious that the quality of the installation made the biggest difference. There are several DIY roll on liners. I found that while it only cost between 100 and 150 for the actual liner materials, it cost between 50 and 100 for the supplies and prep/cleanup chemicals. I got my spray-in done for 299, the DIY would cost me about 200 and all day. I make more than 99 a day so it was well worth having someone else do it for me.

athompson , Oct 30, 2002
  5. Briar Hopper

If you shop for cost alone, you will end up disappointed..... As a dealer for the Perma-Tech brand, I'm naturally biased in favor of the commercial/industrial spray-ons, over the roll-on stuff. With what I paid for my truck, I'm not gonna put cheap stuff in it.

The spray-on liners are thicker, even our competition, the other brands, as thin as they are, are still thicker than the roll-on stuff.

Perma-Tech has a lifetime guarantee, and built-in UV fade resistance, throughout it's entire thickness. That alone, makes it worth the cost to me.

Briar Hopper , Oct 30, 2002
  6. Glen Pratt

CF, Take a look at this product. Durabak comes in different colors. I sent for their brochure and it came with a sample of their product. Looked pretty good. I have a Speedliner spray-in liner which is quite thick, but I was thinking of getting the Durabak to do my utility traier with. Their web-site is http://www.nonslipcoating.com/truck-bed-liners-ddir451.htm . -Glen

Glen Pratt , Oct 30, 2002
  7. CumminFast

Well I just bought a Herculiner off ebay for $89 plus shipping. Hopefully it will do the job. All the spray-in dealers want around $400 for their liner. That is too much! $299 might be worth it. Glen, do you have any pics of your truck?

CumminFast , Oct 30, 2002
  8. 1tuffram

CumminFast,

How much Herculiner you getting and how thick you plan on putting it on? I recently stopped by a Perma-Tech dealer and was told a standard liner he sprays uses about 5 gal of part A and about 3 or 4 gallons of part B (so about 8-9 gallons of total material) and that gives you 1/4" thick on the floor and 3/16" thick on the sides and tailgate.

Brair,

Did you get my PM about 3 weeks ago regarding some questions I had regarding Perma-Tech and what I need to be looking for to make sure this local dealer will do a good job? I was going to have it done this week but it has been cold and snowing here so I have decided to postpone until weather gets better. I was concerned about adhesion of the material to the cold bed, local dealer said it won't matter only if wet and he blow-dries the bed with compressed air. I'm a little worried about maybe he is not going to properly prep the bed, so I need to know what this guys needs to be doing to ensure a proper application. He did admit bed-liners is not his main point, he focuses more on the industrial coating applications because he can make more money with the big contracts he pulls in rather than doing bedliners.

1tuffram , Oct 30, 2002
  9. Briar Hopper

tuffram, any reputable dealer in Perma-Tech will furnish you with the name & phone #'s of satisfied customers, so you can talk to them, and get a look at their truck beds. Look at the area where the material has been "edged" on the top of the tailgate, or at the bed side uprights, where the tailgate meets the bed sides... . that will give you an idea how thick it was sprayed on.

Preparation? My garage area/spray booth is heated. We do take great care to properly prep the truck bed for every customer, I seriously doubt your local dealer would do less ! He is correct, moisture while spraying is to be avoided at all costs. Not to worry about the fact that he prefers to do industrial coatings, it doesn't make them any less skilled at doing the trucks.

Go for it, man, you'll love it !

Briar Hopper , Oct 31, 2002
  10. CumminFast

Nine gallons!! Wow that is thick!! The stuff I bought is only 1 gallon and a quart! I don't really abuse my truck bed. I try to use my trailer as much as possible. How much do they charge you using for nine gallons of that stuff?

CumminFast , Oct 31, 2002
  11. 1tuffram

CumminFast,

The price quoted for black (no color match) on an 8ft bed and over the rail was $425. Since I'm considering having both the '95 and '02 trucks done he will cut it to $385 each. I can only imagine with a gallon of material you will only be able to "paint" a thin layer, which will probably be fine for light duty hauling.

Brair,

He did have a paint booth looking thing inside his shop, but I was unclear what he used it for. He did say the material needs to be a little thinner back by the tailgate so it will close properly. Also said running a full 1/4" thickness all the way to the end of the bed leads to loading problems. When slidding items across the tailgate into the bed there is a tendendy for things to snag on the bedliner and damage it. For this reason he tapers the thickness to 3/16" at the opening of the bed. I never made it back the next day to see a truck he was doing. Said the guy wanted the bed sprayed and a color match bra sprayed on the hood/grill. Maybe I'll see if I can get the guys phone number and check it out. He did show me his very first bedliner attempt. It was in his 2000 or 2001 CTD buisness work truck. By the looks of all the body damage you could tell this truck was definitly worked and worked hard. He sprayed the Perma-Tech OVER a another spray-in liner (think it was Rhino). He said the previous liner was heavily damaged and could not take the abuse of his business. It was not a pretty site, but like he said it was his first attempt a few years ago and spraying it down over another liner was a mistake. What he wanted me to see was the texture of the material and what it looked like in a bed and the condition of the liner after a few yrs of very heavy abuse (chemical spills, hauling iron, etc). When I looked in he had a bunch of very heavy steel angle irons with sharp edges strewn all over and I did not see one rip or tear in the liner, nor any discoloration from the chemical spills he mentioned or chaulking from UV light, did see an area or two where a paint bucket tipped over. :)

1tuffram , Oct 31, 2002