Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boonhauler

Hey Guys:

Thought I'd check in here with all of you. It's time for a headlight upgrade on my 2005 3500. I've been running a Brite Box / Fogster upgrade for many years but the Brite Box has failed so it's time to do something about it.

Additionally, I want to install new headlight housings, my original housing are really clouded up and they will not buff out.

Any ideas on upgrades other than replacing the Brite Box? .... Thanks for your responses

boonhauler , Sep 16, 2020
  2. CJ8Rockcrawler TDR MEMBER

I'm interested in the recommendations as I went with aftermarket factory style housings and supposedly quality LED headlights and have been very disappointed.

The light performance has been great, but they cause terrible radio interference even after several attempts to mitigate and I have a reoccurring lamp out warning on the dash that goes away by cycling the lights on and off. Both issues, the seller touts as not being a problem with their product.

CJ8Rockcrawler , Sep 16, 2020
  3. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Ozymandias , Sep 16, 2020
    Blakers, outlaw1sammy and AH64ID like this.
  4. jghflys

They may be good, but are not DOT approved and not street legal according to the retrofit site. Inspectors in Texas check lights for DOT approval. Inspections vary by state so take care on your purchases of upgraded lighting. You may spend your money on lights that will not pass inspection.

jghflys , Sep 17, 2020
    Tuesdak likes this.
  5. boonhauler

boonhauler , Sep 17, 2020
    Ozymandias likes this.
  6. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Ozymandias , Sep 18, 2020
  7. MartyK

Ozy,

Did you send them your headlights to modify or did they supply the headlights? If they supplied, how was the fit and finish? Which options did you choose? Can you post a picture of yours.

Thanks,
    Marty

MartyK , Sep 19, 2020
  8. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Hi, I ordered with new housings. He is using TYC units for it.
    I used the most basic shrouds in it to look very much OEM but have choosen the 50watt HIDs.
    Just to mention it, they use the European light pattern, means you see farther in low beam then with a domestic symmetrical light.

20200924_120342.jpg #ad
    20200924_120337.jpg #ad

Ozymandias , Sep 25, 2020
    Tuesdak likes this.
  9. MartyK

Thanks for the pictures. Yes, I like it looking as close to stock as possible.

Did you lose your high beams?

MartyK , Sep 25, 2020
  10. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Oh no, these are Hi/Low Xenons, they have a shutter in it.

Ozymandias , Sep 26, 2020
  11. MartyK

That's good that you still have the high beams. Looking at your pictures again, the gap between the body and headlight housing looks good on those TYC units.

MartyK , Sep 26, 2020
    Ozymandias likes this.
  12. outlaw1sammy

Ozymandias, I just picked up a set of these and will be installing soon. Would you mind sharing where you mounted the relays and other components that come with these lights? Maybe also how you routed the wiring? Thanks

outlaw1sammy , Sep 26, 2020
  13. KParsons

KParsons , Sep 28, 2020
  14. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Just behind the light assembly is a frame rail of the cab, i fixed all the stuff to the side of that rail.
    It is easy accessible with the plastic wheel well taken off.

Ozymandias , Sep 29, 2020
    sojoe likes this.
  15. sojoe

Just ordered mine from retro(THANKS OZY)...................................
    I am tired of screwing around with poor lighting crap.

sojoe , Oct 19, 2020
    Ozymandias and Tuesdak like this.
  16. boonhauler

I wanted to follow up just to let all those who follow on what I did. I've decided to stay with the Brite-Box FLC. I choose this route because it was a known result as I've had the Brite-Box upgrade on my truck since 2010. I also like the fog light assist when the high beams are engaged.

The HID upgrade (mentioned above) was an unknown to me so I decided to stay with the known quantity. I also went with the Extreme-Vision bulb upgrade. I ended up contacting Automotive Lighting Products in regards to the bulb and housing upgrade, here's what he/they had to say

I ended up just getting the new (after-market) housings from Geno's. If I would have went with the OEM housings the overall cost of the headlight upgrade would have been on par with the HID upgrade from the Retro-Shop ($675 plus).

boonhauler , Nov 2, 2020
    Blakers and AH64ID like this.
  17. CVR222NV TDR MEMBER

My lenses are really bad. I'm on another forum for another vehicle and Cerakote is getting good reviews. Anyone use it on their headlight lenses?

CVR222NV , Nov 9, 2020
  18. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Don't waste your money with it, it lasts from today to tomorrow.
    Get a set of new Headlights from TYC, they are good quality.

Ozymandias , Nov 10, 2020
    Tuesdak likes this.
  19. CVR222NV TDR MEMBER

:D Ozy, I have no doubt those are great lights and if I ever have to replace the whole light I will purchase them on your recommendation. However, I am pot committed to a set of upgraded bulbs that are working great for me and for $20 to try to restore the lenses I figure what do I have to loose. This will be one of my January projects.

CVR222NV , Nov 11, 2020
  20. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

No i just mean the basic TYCs, not the ones we use that are upgraded to Xenon.

Ozymandias , Nov 11, 2020