1. Matt42 TDR MEMBER

I need to relocate the OEM radio in my 1996. I need a sort of an extension cord for the radio harness.

It's easy to find a pigtail to adapt an aftermarket radio to the plugs inside the dashboard. But what I need is about a four foot long extension harness. Is there such a thing on the market? Or will I have to take an old radio apart and make my own?

Thanks.

2. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

3. Matt42 TDR MEMBER

I couldn't find that at their website lookup. So I sent them a request.

4. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

You doing something like this?

upload_2024-6-28_13-46-35.png #ad

Timd32, Michaelsloft and Ozymandias like this.
  5. Matt42 TDR MEMBER

Hah! That's sort of the concept, in a way. I replaced the dash with one that has a Double DIN opening. The Double DIN opening is too narrow for the OEM radio. (silly me) No money just yet to buy and install a double DIN radio. So I want to fasten the OEM 1996 radio on the floor as if it was a CB radio. That's why I need an extension for the OEM harness.

On edit, your idea looks really attractive. I may try it.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2024 at 11:21 PM
  6. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

You can get a nice Double-DIN for as little as 65$ on Amazon with a 4.8 rating and 8008 reviews.
    Sounds like a deal.

I'd give you the link for it but this isn't liked here on TDR.

7. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

My stereo had been stolen out of my truck. I had that one I'd taken out of something, but it wouldn't fit in the dash. I had a one-hour commute to and from work and had to have SOMETHING to listen to....

Michaelsloft, Matt42 and Ozymandias like this.
  8. Matt42 TDR MEMBER

That's sort of the plan. I may end up with a cheap one in that price range. At the moment, I am letting the perfect become the enemy of the good. My midrange plan is to install a radio that accepts a backup camera, a front camera, and also links to a dash cam. There's a pricey radio where the associated dash cam works sort of like a forward collision warning, and makes a horrible noise if the truck is about to hit a wall. Or something.

But right now, I am dealing with a paint shop nightmare. :mad:

Ozymandias likes this.
  9. Matt42 TDR MEMBER

Back from the paint shop several hours ago. The nightmare has turned into a mere bad dream. That's an improvement. Paint does weird things to the substrate when applied at temperatures over 110F ambient, even when the shop is cooled.