1. madmac74

Ok , so after being mechanic for over 30 years , I am stumped... I had the right rear axle seal go out on my 94 2500. so I decided to do the rear brakes while i was there. all went well , even tho I had to buy two new Ny lock Axle nuts . ouch!
    After i got everything buttoned up I went for a test drive..after about 5 miles , i stopped and checked the right side , and the drum was hot! and i could smell brakes .So i got it back home and pulled it apart. some how its tightening up on that side .
    Just for reference Napa sold me all of my parts , and they usually have been excellent for 20 years ...
    I consulted the My Factory service manual and it says not to mix up the Star-wheel adjusters . I checked ,and both of mine Are Left-hand thread . I was sold 2 left hand ones. Now After some research , This should work if the Adjusting Arms are on opposite sides .... Right?. the right drum assembly has the Adjuster on the Secondary shoe and the left one is on the Primary shoe ....am i missing something here?

madmac74 , Jun 9, 2024
  2. GAmes TDR MEMBER

It might work in theory, but apparently not in real life. I'm trying to picture how one with the star wheel on the wrong side would contact the adjustment lever. I think I'd spring for a right hand thread adjuster.

GAmes , Jun 9, 2024
    Ozymandias likes this.
  3. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

I second this, fix what's wrong then making it worse.

Ozymandias , Jun 9, 2024
  4. petersonj TDR MEMBER

I am confused. I thought the brake adjuster hardware (including the lever) is always mounted on the secondary shoe regardless of which side.

The photo below shows a passenger side brake drum assembly. Does yours look like this?

upload_2024-6-9_16-25-15.gif #ad

Using the above photo - when the wheel cylinder pistons extend, the adjuster would move DOWNWARD to rotate the adjuster. A RIGHT HAND thread adjuster would attempt to increase the distance between the shoes when this event occurred, so a right hand thread adjuster would be correct for the passenger side. A left hand thread adjuster would do the opposite.

I think your FSM is correct in telling you not to mix the adjusters - because one is left hand threaded and the other is right hand threaded without actually stating that. Rock Auto sells brake adjuster star wheels with a LEFT side and a RIGHT side for a 1994 Dodge Ram 2500.

What's the history on your truck? Original brakes? If not, did you or someone else replace them?

Also, installing a brake adjuster on a secondary shoe on one side and a brake adjuster on a primary shoe on the other side would create two different braking performances even if the hardware actually worked. A primary shoe has a self-initiating action due to rotation of the drum when the truck is moving forward and brakes are applied. The friction generated from the primary shoe forces the secondary shoe into action. The opposite will happen when the truck is moving in reverse and brakes are applied.

- John

Last edited: Jun 9, 2024
    petersonj , Jun 9, 2024
    Michaelsloft likes this.
  5. Signal73

Ive had rubber hoses from frame to the axle swell internally and not allow the fluid to flow back once applied causing the brake to mimic your situation. Just don’t get your blinders on focused in the star wheel situation when it could be others. Although I do believe you are on the right track…

Signal73 , Jun 10, 2024
  6. GAmes TDR MEMBER

Except there is only one flex hose to the rear brakes. If it failed both brakes would be dragging or locking up.

GAmes , Jun 10, 2024
    Signal73 likes this.
  7. Signal73

Correct, as long as his brakes are adjusted similarly.

Signal73 , Jun 10, 2024