1. Terry Jay

Saw a comment in the Diesel thread, so a new thread for road conditions to Alaska.

This will be our 10th trip since 2007, leave early May and return September. The road conditions have improved enormously over the years, so ignore anything you hear older than last summer, 2014. The road to Ft Nelson is all paved, mild grades but hilly, some steep river crossing grades, curves are usually marked, and speed limit is 100kph, or 62 mph. The Mounties do give tickets. Ft Nelson to Watson Lake the road crosses the northern Rockies. The road narrows, shoulders are mostly gone, but plenty of room to drive. There are a couple Parks and wildlife. As you descend toward the Liard river the road is again wide with shoulders. Wild Bison will be on and along the road as it follows the Liard River.
    Watson Lake to Kluane Lake the road remains wide with shoulders, except for an area near the east side of Whithorse. Rolling country, mountains in the distance. There could be frost heaves isolated along this stretch, they are marked with red flags on the shoulders. Kluane Lake to Tok is the "bad road" section of stories, but it has been rebuilt over the last 7 years, There are still bad sections, and winter takes a toll on the surface every year, but it is a passable road if you control your speed, as in plan to do a leisurely 35 or less in some areas.

Best places for fuel are Ft Nelson, Contact Creek Lodge, Teslin Yukon Motel, Otter Falls Cutoff Lodge near Haines Junction, and Tok.

More current reports may be on RV.net in the Alaska section near the bottom. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/ Is an Alaska outdoors site with info on fishing and other activity.

Enjoy the trip.

Terry Jay , Mar 10, 2015
  2. Shadrach

Thanks. It's on my to do list but haven't convinced my wife to go just yet. David

Shadrach , Mar 10, 2015
  3. ALSAN

My wife and I have a trip planned for Alaska this year leave early July back late September

ALSAN , Mar 10, 2015
  4. rynosback

Thanks for the information. This trip has been on my list for YEARS. I'm just starting off full timing in a couple of months. I will have my new 40 foot DRV in tow. At the big RV show in Hershey this past year. I met people that discouraged us from taking this trip as I would damage my new 5ver. I had read about the heaves and being flagged on the escapees forum. Not to mention all of the rock chips that you get. I would love to talk to you about this trip someday. Many thanks for your incite.

rynosback , Mar 10, 2015
  5. Grizzly

Thanks Terry. We are planning a trip to Alaska this summer from July till late September. It's a good time frame for less rain, less mosquitos and more grizzlies. This will be our third trip. Our last trip was in 2006. We will take the Cassiar Hwy both ways. It's a little shorter and more scenic In 06 it had a few stretches of gravel. In all your trips have you traveled the Cassiar Hwy?

george

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
    Grizzly , Mar 11, 2015
  6. realfine409

My wife and I made the trip last summer May-Sept. Trip of a lifetime. Saw critters all the way up and around Alaska. Pretty slim coming back. Canadian fuel was $$$$$! Got a few rock chips, took out a fog lamp. Still was worth the time and effort. Enjoy.

realfine409 , Mar 27, 2015
  7. rynosback

I did not know that there was more then one road to Alaska.

rynosback , Mar 27, 2015
  8. Shadrach

You can go North from the Vancouver BC area thru Prince George and the into the Yukon or you can go up thru Edmonton Alberta and then NE BC. There is even a few variations to that as well. David

Shadrach , Mar 27, 2015
  9. Terry Jay

At Prince George, turn left toward the Coast to pick up the Cassiar, or continue north to Dawson Creek. If coming from Alberta, you have to traverse Jasper on HWY 16 to pass thru Prince George to get to the Casaiar.

The rainy season starts mid-June. Mosquitoes are May to July, no-seeums come later. Pick your poison. We see the most bears early May, but bear viewing at the salmon ares improves in August and September.

We tried the Cassiar in 07, it was not good as in lots of brush right up to the road and lots of unrepaired road surface. She won't hear of it now. All reports are the road is much improved. On the Cassiar you will miss the Bison along the Liard River.

Terry Jay , Mar 27, 2015
  10. Grizzly

rynosback,

The Cassiar Hwy has been improved over the years. It's less miles to Tok, Alaska and is far more scenic than the Alcan Hwy.

We are planning a trip this coming July. This will be our 3rd trip.

george

Grizzly , Apr 1, 2015
  11. rynosback

Thanks for the info. Do you do it alone or caravan it?

rynosback , Apr 1, 2015
  12. Grizzly

We make the trip by ourselves. That way we are not tied to anyone else's schedule. If we want to stay at some place longer, we can. I know, there are advantages in a group, but we manage fine.

george

Grizzly , Apr 2, 2015
  13. K5IP

I agree with George, The Cassiar is our favorite part of the whole trip. There are three very nice campgrounds spaced about a day apart.
    If you fish for your supper you won't starve at any of these places. The last time we came through, Three years ago, the road was good except for a few places where they were rebuilding the road (big rain storm). They did however have a Cat parked along the work site to help you through if you got stuck. We made it OK but 4WHD was required.
    Go for it!
    Rog

K5IP , Apr 2, 2015