Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnonEd TDR MEMBER

I have a new belt to install on a 2007 reg cab, passenger side (PN in a photo, and the blue gear faces front of truck when installed). The new part is shipped retracted and I don't see an easy way to release it for unwinding and installation. Anyone have any hints...maybe there's a pin to punch or a tab to pull? Thanks.

BELT F.jpg #ad

BELT PN.jpg #ad

BELT SIDE.jpg #ad

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    AnonEd , Oct 26, 2020
  2. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Usually hold it straight upward should release the lock. So you can pull it out.
    Every other position it is locked.

Ozymandias , Oct 27, 2020
    brucejohnson likes this.
  3. AnonEd TDR MEMBER

Thanks Ozy. I have now tried that method, very gently, without success. Plan B?

AnonEd , Oct 27, 2020
  4. seafish

The mechanism that locks the belt is a swinging pendulum...

It is obviously quite sensitive to motion and must be perfectly aligned in a vertically neutral position for the belt to pull out.

That said, it is not a delicate mechanism and Plan B would be to tap on the front and back of the housing while holding it in a vertical position while also trying to retract the belt.

You might need a helping hand or you could place the unit in a cushioned vice while performing the actions above,

seafish , Oct 27, 2020
  5. AnonEd TDR MEMBER

Thanks Seafish. So I assume that the pendulum is the black lever on the blue side. I wiggled, tapped, and other ideas. That lever appears not to move. Is there another way of looking at it? I fell like there's is some top secret trade secret that people are holding close to the vest, so keep the ideas coming!

AnonEd , Oct 27, 2020
  6. seafish

It is certainly possible, if this is new but old stock replacement, that the pendulum is stuck on its own simply from lack of use.

Either return for an other one or perhaps as a last ditch effort drill a small hole (<1/8" ) where you can spray some WD40 or other penetrating oil on the pendulum and see if that works.

In fact, that is almost exactly how I cleaned the old one in my 2005 truck.... By drilling TWO small holes into the housing I was able to spray penetrating oil into the mechanism, which had gotten dirty and sticky. and then also used compressed air to push any dirt and excess oil back out. It worked great to get the mechanism working easily again and then I used some JB Weld wo seal the holes up. NO problems since doing that some years ago on my truck.

Just m y .02

seafish , Oct 27, 2020