20171018_080117.jpg #ad

BIGNASTY , Oct 18, 2017
  2. BIGNASTY

More of the process

20171018_080020.jpg #ad

20171018_082516.jpg #ad

BIGNASTY , Oct 18, 2017
  3. CRodi TDR MEMBER

Just got me yearly reminder in the mail yesterday. You won't believe how good it works. It also does wonders for your electrical (grounds) and door motors.

A bit messy (for about a week), but well worth it. The heat will make it creep. I've noticed dripping again after a heat wave. In my area, used vehicles with Krown or rust Check treatment from day one sell for a premium.

CRodi , Oct 18, 2017
  4. promisedland

Hmmm, pay now or pay later...
    What does a dose of this cost?

promisedland , Oct 18, 2017
  5. BIGNASTY

$160.00 for the Dodge & $120.00 for the Camry I took over.

Went out this AM to look around at the coverage there were spots on the concrete where it had ran off a little. The most impressive thing was that it looked like it had spread EVERYPLACE!! on the truck

BIGNASTY , Oct 19, 2017
  6. promisedland

Great! Thanks for sharing

promisedland , Oct 19, 2017
  7. DavidC

Are you driving to Ohio every year for re-treat ?. Nothing closer to home I presume.

Dave

DavidC , Oct 20, 2017
  8. BIGNASTY

Its a 161 miles just a few hours drive NO BIG DEAL just a nice drive in the country took I 70 over, came back 36 had breakfast in Indy & dinner in Indy.

BIGNASTY , Oct 20, 2017
  9. JR

Just had mine done last week as well. Did the 98 nearly every year that I owned it, I feel it is well worth the expense. You can't get steel back once it's gone.

10. BIGNASTY

JR Not that I'm going to do it but you said you've used this NEARLY every year. At the end of year (their suggested application rate) is there product still on the truck or is it obvious that it needs to be reapplied.

BIGNASTY , Oct 21, 2017
  11. JR

IMO annual application is important if the vehicle is in the slop. Keep in mind I live in the county with highest average snowfall in the state (by far), so your results may vary.
    I said nearly every year because the first two winter's my truck did not see salt, and the next to the last winter I owned it I pulled it off the road for the entire winter for some repairs. But if you drive regularly through the winter I believe it is necessary. By late spring there isn't much trace of the stuff left.

12. BIGNASTY

Thanks!!!!

BIGNASTY , Oct 22, 2017
  13. CMB

I just had this done- it was a Christmas gift. I really like the idea. Not only does it protect from salt but it lubricants everything making things a little less noisy. Prior to this I was spraying bolt threads with WD-40 spray and stay. The only down side for those of us that do our own maintenance is the dirt. A little dust will cling to the surfaces but this is an easy trade off to be rust free and quite. We'll see how it does over time. The Line-X of East York, Pa is a licensed dealer. I just wish I would have know about this earlier.

Cheers

14. CRodi TDR MEMBER

I do all my fluid and filter changes, along with any upgrades or planned repairs before getting the yearly application done.

Unless you have an unexpected repair or emergency, you really don't want to be crawling around your truck right after getting it oiled.

I was surprised when I was expecting nuts and bolts to break off, that they actually came off when doing repairs. The first time it happened I thought my ratchet stripped.

The long term benefits are still worth with putting up with a bit of a mess IMHO.

CRodi , Dec 14, 2017
  15. CMB

CRodi,

I'm assuming the broken nuts and bolts were before you started using Krown or am I missing something here?

All,

In your opinion, when is the best time of year to have it applied? I was thinking October or November. Mike said something interesting when I dropped the truck off. He said that most of the rust forms in the spring time due to tempiture. I would think appling in October or November would provide the best salt protection.

I wonder if he sprayed the spare tire cable:-laf

16. DavidC

That is probably true. When I was in Vermont there was a guy that had an immaculate Suburban. I asked him how he kept it that nice in that environment as there was no rust on the late 70's early 80's vehicle. His response " I never let it thaw out". So all the people with heated garages etc. have a constant thaw and refreeze going on and all that moisture rusts them out.

Dave

DavidC , Dec 14, 2017
  17. CRodi TDR MEMBER

Yes of course, long before Krown or Rust Check existed. It's a thing of the past now.

The product can be applied any time of the year. The fall is the traditional and busy season. The ones in my area offer a discount if you have it done in the summer. You don't have to wait for spring, the product is good for at least a year.

The one thing I did notice is that the heat seems to make the oil creep. I've had it applied in the fall before, and notice it creeping and dripping the following the summer during a heat wave.

If the spare tire cable is part of the under carriage, it got covered.

CRodi , Dec 14, 2017
  18. S.Morris

I use Krown on all my vehicles and have for many years. It is worth it for lack of electrical issues alone on older corrosive salt environment vehicles.
    Over time I have come to believe that April is the best time to have it applied.
    When I buy a used vehicle more than (yrs old I will not buy it if not annually Krowned OR not winter driven.
    My 04 Dodge is both not winter driven ( except to and from Florida in Feb/March) and annually Krowned.
    I used to own a 01 Corolla, bought new and Krowned annually for 13 yrs. The second owner who I know reports it has now over 600000km (450 when I sold), and is rust free and driven year round. Still with original clutch, and engine never been touched, except to change plugs every 200k km

S.Morris , Dec 14, 2017
  19. JR

Rust is temperature and humidity dependant, higher humidity and temps in the 30 degree range and up are a breeding ground for corrosion. This is why the Great Lakes area is so bad, we've got huge temp swings, this morning was -1 at my house so of course the salt trucks were out in full force. Projected high is supposed to be above freezing, so now all the lovely brine juice I kicked up under my vehicle this morning will be warm enough to work its magic. It's a vicious cycle.