Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WalterJ TDR MEMBER

Greetings;

I replaced my cigar lighter port with a "Tiger Eye" / "Angel Eye" push button switch, to control my [Banks] exhaust brake. I wired the LED [tall center terminals] in series with the NO switch contacts that are the 'outside' terminals. [NC contacts are the 'inside' terminals.] The LED is not polarity sensitive; probably 2 are 69'ed for convenience. Mine is blue, other colors available. The pics are on my bench, don't know how bright it becomes during night driving. Maybe I'll have to install a 5K ohm pot nearby for brightness adj.? [a handy .8K resistor in series made little difference] We'll see how it goes, but glad the toggle is no longer down by my knees.

Camera could not focus close to the LED, must be an "L" shell electron interference issue, eh.

Anywho, with the center console popped out, place it face down upon a 15/16" socket to receive the cigar lighter body when you bop it with a mallet, screwdriver handle, etc. The exposed "hole" is very slightly tapered/irregular, so a moment sanding with a dowel, cleans it up and the 22mm switch threaded body falls right in. A perfect fit.

The terminals are 0.100" wide, which is 2.5mm, not surprising as the switch is European, made in China. The apparent quality is better than expected for $9 including shipping. It took 2 weeks to arrive. Hope the pics tell '...the rest of the story'.

My eba search: Car Vehicle 22mm 12V Blue LED Angel Eye Push Power Button Metal Switch Latching

Description:
    100% Brand new and high quality
    Flush mount button, add to your vehicles interior without compromising your automotive style.
    Mechanical Lifetime is tested at over 200,000 fail-free duty cycles!
    Perfect switch for Car interior refitting light / audio electric appliances.
    Universal fit all 12V Car SUV Truck Conversion Van RV Boat Yatch.
    Metal Button
    Color: Blue
    Latching Type: Push It-- On, Push It Again -- Off
    LED Voltage: 12V
    Head Diameter: 25mm
    Button Diameter: 17mm
    Hole size required :22mm
    Total length: 43mm

DSC00474.JPG #ad
    DSC00475.JPG #ad
    DSC00480.JPG #ad
    DSC00482.JPG #ad

DSC00474.JPG #ad

DSC00475.JPG #ad

DSC00480.JPG #ad

DSC00482.JPG #ad

WalterJ , Aug 27, 2014
  2. seafish

GREAT idea and NICE job...Thanks for posting!!!

seafish , Aug 28, 2014
  3. DAN V

That looks really cool. Might have to get one of those after a I get my Pacbrake put in at local shop.

DAN V , Aug 28, 2014
  4. WalterJ TDR MEMBER

Note: Now, I put a 10K resistor in series with the +12V to the illumination LED. Unfettered +12v permits the LED to draw 11mA which was like a laser! The 10K turns it into a soft glow with lights out. I also used the +12v from the Cigar Lighter, as that's an "Ignition/Access. On" circuit.

I'm in the middle of installing a bunch of Carling switches for my Aux stuff, then I'll breadboard an Op-Amp circuit to sense if I 'energized'/'commanded' the exh. brake 'on' by looking at the small voltage drop across a 5K resistor in series with the Banks signal, & power a micro 1/8" dia. LED to the right of this switch. It too will have a current limiting resistor of about 15K, because it has no internal resistance. I tried powering an indicator LED in series with the Banks exh. brake circuit, but it behaves like a logic sensing circuit & can't handle 5mA the time I played with it. Thanks for watching.

Wally

WalterJ , Sep 8, 2014