1. bigblock_doc TDR MEMBER

Where is the best place to relocate the oil filter on a 2019 3500?
    Also has anyone heard of an EGR filter? It's supposed to clean and filter the
    gases before being sucked into the intake.
    Thanks in advance.

bigblock_doc , Feb 25, 2024
    Diesel85 likes this.
  2. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

I have to ask WHY do a relocate on the oil filter since the 19 and up are even easier to remove from the top???

Cummins12V98 , Feb 25, 2024
    06 Dodge, Tuesdak and Diesel85 like this.
  3. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Don't they even have a cutout in the fenders liner to do it from the side.

Ozymandias , Feb 25, 2024
  4. Topzide TDR MEMBER

Topzide , Feb 25, 2024
    Diesel85 likes this.
  5. Learjet

I would rather have the right tools and sit on my stool and reach in to change the oil filter then add failure and leak points.

I've done every oil change on my truck since new...much easier than the fuel filter :)

JMHO

Learjet , Feb 25, 2024
    Diesel85 and Tuesdak like this.
  6. Signal73

Signal73 , Feb 26, 2024
    Diesel85 likes this.
  7. bcbender TDR MEMBER

All you need is turn the wheel to the right and reach in and grab it.. this helps contain the mess.. done mine many times with ZERO spillage or leaks... Thank's GENOS!

upload_2024-2-26_8-1-11.png

bcbender , Feb 26, 2024
    TomBrady, Learjet, Bug Out and 2 others like this.
  8. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

5/16” nut driver is all I need to get to my filter. Good time to inspect air intake and boost hose.

Cummins12V98 , Feb 26, 2024
    Diesel85 likes this.
  9. Tuesdak

Loose oil pressure due to a leaking, burst, or slipped off the barb hose has killed so many diesel engines D E A D it's not funny. (GM's leaking oil cooler hoses in the '90 on gas and diesels UGH! Always getting hard from heat the hose wasn't capable of handling then leaking at the crimp till "POP!" there goes an engine!) You can't even stop from freeway speed without engine damage if you blow a hose. Literally it's "engine expendable" to keep PS/PB working to get you stopped! This is why OEM's now bring the coolant to the engine oil cooler ON THE ENGINE to eliminate oil cooler hoses. Diesel engine oil can get so hot that it ruins most Bean Counter oil cooler hoses. Even some high temp oil cooler hoses I have used have left puddles after seeing some extreme towing temperatures. At least they gave me a warning and changed em before they lost all oil. What's the worst that could happen to your $20,000 engine with oil filter relocation hoses?

You don't want to add a filter in the EGR that WILL CLOG UP and trigger engine limp mode. Better question: Should the OEM's take the EGR gas from after the DPF? The plumbing and reliability nightmare with the cost to do so likely isn't worth it. How it would affect the engine calibration for emissions is a nightmare to work out as the PSI across the DPF changes with loading.

If you don't want to mess with the oil filter have your local dealer or auto shop change the oil.

Tuesdak , Feb 26, 2024
    Diesel85 and Ozymandias like this.
  10. Topzide TDR MEMBER

@Tuesdak, That's why I changed the hoses out with 1/2" hydraulic hoses. The hoses in the photo were temporary to confirm lengths needed to make permanent. Has been on for 4 years now and 40K through all temp ranges. Hydraulic hoses would be the only type to use on this type of setup. They'll handle the pressure and temps and have spiral wrap to protect them. I know it's not needed, but sure do like the extra capacity along with ease of changing filter. Made sure the hoses were routed and protected along with the filters themselves. Took a day or two to figure out where I was going to mount it. And whole day to mount and make skid plate. Works for me and no different then others that mod their trucks!

Topzide , Feb 26, 2024
    Diesel85 likes this.