1. MN Cummins Lvr

Hoping somebody can help me out here. I would like to know if my Reese Pro Series 15K Sliding Hitch will work out with the rails/kit for the 3rd Gen trucks? Obviously the rails from the 2nd Gen won't work. I am anxious to see how my new ride pulls the 5'er ;)

Thanks,

Paul

MN Cummins Lvr , Feb 27, 2005
  2. wtfd6

rail kits are standard. the third gen trucks have a different rear frame brace. but the rails are the same. the slider should fit in them fine. just as long as they are installed right. mark

wtfd6 , Feb 27, 2005
  3. DPhillips

I took a reese 15k Trailboss out of my father inlaws F-150, installed and removed from my 2003 GMC 1/2 ton then installed it in my 04. 5 with the purchase of the Dodge install kit and it works fine.

Yeah I drilled a couple of holes in the frame but if you are worried about that they sell an adapter kit that requires no holes to be drilled.

Search google for hitches, I think the site is ehitches.com or something like that. I plan on purchasing the gooseneck mount for the 5th wheel rails for my truck. Hope this helps.

DPhillips , Feb 27, 2005
  4. JimBob24

I had the Reese 15K with slider on my truck for a while. I used the no-drill frame mounts with the Reese rails. The frame mount brackets only fit in one place on the frame, and after installing my rails, the kingpin was located about 3 inches forward of the rear axle centerline. My slider had 12 inches of travel, and with it all the way back I could not jackknife my rig 90 degrees.

I upgraded to the Pullrite SuperGlide, which put the kingpin almost directly over the axle centerline. With its 14 inches of travel I can now completely jackknife with about 3 inches of clearance between the cab and trailer.

The no-drill frame brackets work fine. I just would have preferred them to place the centerline of the pin over the axle. That 3 inches makes a big difference.

Jim

JimBob24 , Feb 27, 2005
  5. wtfd6

the pin should be a little forward of axle centerline. that way it puts weight on the whole truck. that is the way i understand it. mark

wtfd6 , Feb 27, 2005