1. J D Moore

After completing a 1600 mile trip (without disconnecting the fiver) I discovered one of the "pins" that the jaws pivot on had slipped down and the jaw was only supported by the lower half of the "pin". This was caused by a broken, upper E retaining ring.

Had the pin fallen completely out of position this would have been a catastrophic failure.

The hitch has 7 years of use and had towed 6,000+ miles.

Jim

J D Moore , Sep 16, 2006
  2. litespeed

Do you got a picture of that?

I would like to see it.

litespeed , Sep 16, 2006
  3. J D Moore

No, didn't occur to me.

Jim

J D Moore , Sep 16, 2006
  4. CPG

Let Reese know of this problem. Certanly they would pay attention fast.

Either Reese owns Draw-Tite or vice versa. This summer I saw an exact duplicate of my Draw-Tite 16K Signature Series with a Reese name on it. Am curious who owns whom. ?

5. surfbeetle

I had a similar problem, I had the c clip on the release lever pop off due to a worn flat bar in the hitch. At first the rv shop simple turned the flat piece over. That worked for a short while, then I had them fabricate an entire new piece. I guess the important thing is we all need to remember to do frequent inspections on the hitch components for safety's sake.

surfbeetle , Sep 16, 2006
  6. J D Moore

Does anybody know how to contact Reese. Googled & got www.reeseprod.com but unable to find contact numbers. Tried an e-mail within the follow-up on your order without success.

Correction to towed miles it is 62,000+. I must have had a senior moment when I proofread & missed the typo.

Jim

Last edited: Sep 17, 2006
    J D Moore , Sep 17, 2006
  7. CPG

JDMoore,

Try this.

Reese-Hitches.com is owned & operated by (hitchfinder.com)

Phone 817-607-7300

Hope this finds help. Email them as above.

Chuck

Last edited: Sep 17, 2006
  8. TowPro

reese is owned by

Cequent Towing Products

47774 Anchor Ct. W.

Plymouth, MI 48170

US

there phone number is (734) 656-0300

Cequent also owns draw-tite.

Hithfinder.com is owned by

etrailer.com Trailer Hitch Center

3707 Veterans Memorial Parkway

ST CHARLES, MO 63303

US

they are a company that just sells hitches, I don't think they are owned or operated by Cequent

All this information was obtained by looking up the domains on the internet using "whois", then I got Cequent's phone number on yahoo.com yellow pages.

I know Cequent's phone number is correct because I have called it several times searching out a wire harness for my 06 that had fuses in it. I ended up making my own.

TowPro , Sep 17, 2006
  9. J D Moore

TowPro et al,

Your information is correct.

I had tracked down Reese to Cequent Towing Products (who also own Drawtite) @ 800 428 7303 and spoke with tech. support John who stated there was no recall and to his knowledge no others have had such a problem. We discussed proper inspection & lubrication (white lithium grease or motor oil). He is sending 4 Klip Rings to me.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Jim

J D Moore , Sep 19, 2006
  10. TowPro

No, thank you! I need to check my clips. that is the one you see in the recessed hole looking down at the top of the shoe?

TowPro , Sep 19, 2006
  11. J D Moore

Yes.

I subsequently received a reply from e-mail to hitchfinder.com to contact Reese

@ reese. prod.com as well as reply from Cequent customer service (800-632-3290) to contact tech support @ 888-521-0510 option 2

I am saving all these contact numbers for future use, if necessary.

Jim

J D Moore , Sep 19, 2006
  12. litespeed

Jim,

This reminds me (that is why I asked for the pic)...

Pics may help in the event of a claim (before removal).

I have a Husky 24K. I had a similar problem. Except that my pin had fallen completely out. Luckily when I noticed that it was gone, I was not pulling anything. I replaced the factory pins with some of the same type only the clip is square and not round.

It seems like the round ones wore out in a hurry. These are holding up a heck of a lot longer. Can't remember where in the heck I got them.

The shank on the square type is a lot bigger too (more robust).

I check all of these things before every pull now.

Good thing you found it!

AJ

litespeed , Sep 19, 2006
  13. CPG

Yikes,this is scarry. Gotta keep checking. Maybe an update for this situation.

Chuck